Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Second Feed Problems (Triax)

This is a discussion on Sky Second Feed Problems (Triax) within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I am new to sky and just got my box installed last week. The engineer came at 8:30pm and ...

salmavirk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Second Feed Problems (Triax)

Hi,

I am new to sky and just got my box installed last week. The engineer came at 8:30pm and refused to go on the roof to install a new dish or cabling. All in all he gave us the new 1TB box and just plugged it in. The house we moved into has a triax box on the wall and you just put the sky cables into it from the back of the box.

One input on the box has signal the other doesn't (said the engineer but refused to touch it). We now have a 1 TB box that just shows the channel you are on and not record any other channel.

Is there a triax wizard engineer out there who can resolve our problem? We are on a mews and all 8 houses have the same installation and problem (no second feed working).

We are based in W12 London.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Second Feed Problems (Triax)

You need to contact whoever installed the communal dish. Chances are if it was done on the cheap there is only one satellite feed to each property.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is common practice for communal dishes to only have 1 feed going into a property. What you need to do is contact the third party you ordered through and query what was being installed. Another thought is there any other sky connections in the flat, say in a bedroom? Lots of fllats etc with communal dishes have single feeds running to different rooms in the property sometimes.

salmavirk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for your replies.

It makes sense. Can I just request the sky engineer puts a brand new dish up with new cabling? I think he should have done that in the first place? Alternatively can the sky engineer just run a second feed?

I can go back to the landlord but it will take forever and rather get sky to do a fresh install.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

No, Sky will not touch this equipment or run in a new feed from it.

I doubt you could have a dish installed either as this will require permission from the landlord and if they have installed a communual system this is normally to do away with dozens of dishes being fitted.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

You can ask sky to come out and put a dish up and install the extra feed (may cost you now 60, as you have already had your install done and the installer was following process when there is a communal dish. As Smithy said to get this done though you will need permission from the landlord to do this but i cant see them being very forthcoming. If they say yes to you then I am sure others will want to follow suit. One other thing ic ould think of is to contact your lanlord and see if all the feeds are currently being used on the communal dish and if not is there a possibility you could use an extra feed until the time comes when new tenants want sky etc. Always wortha try.