Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can Sky+ Viewing Card be used with Freesat Box?

This is a discussion on Can Sky+ Viewing Card be used with Freesat Box? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have been a Sky+ subscriber for many years, but unfortunately the Sky box is in the process of dying ...

EclecticBadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Can Sky+ Viewing Card be used with Freesat Box?

I have been a Sky+ subscriber for many years, but unfortunately the Sky box is in the process of dying and viewing channels are disappearing domino style. The signal test shows as good for both tuners and swap-out of both the cable and a new LNB confirms it is the box.

I have been checking out the Freesat services and available viewable channels for comparison with the channels available via Sky+ and note that Freesat offers a few extra BBC and ITV HD channels not carried by the Sky service. However, I would still like to be able to access Sky 1, FX, SyFy, Movies, Sport etc.

Now to my question: Can a Sky viewing card be used in a Freesat box?

Ie. can I just swap the duff Sky equipment for new Freesat equipment (I'm thinking along the lines of a Humax FoxSat PVR) and keep the card and the Sky subscription services? Also if this is possible will I receive the benefit of a hybrid service and be able to view the extra BBC and ITV HD channels?

(Alternatively I could just ring Sky and get them to send me another box, but it is unclear from their website how I can just buy the equipment - which I assume will be HD specification, without the need for the "professional installer" (I can swap two cable myself) or additional bolt on subscriptions?

Appreciated, cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Can Sky+ Viewing Card be used with Freesat Box?

Now to my question: Can a Sky viewing card be used in a Freesat box?
      No, a Sky card will only work in a Sky box.

If you have a Sky subscription you will get a replacement box for the call out charge of sixty odd quid. You might want to consider a free HD box if you take the HD subscription. I believe you can get self install for a 30 delivery charge.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

EclecticBadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can Sky+ Viewing Card be used with Freesat Box?

Cheers for the swift reply.

You have saved me a great deal of additional Googling