Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17

This is a discussion on Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17 within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Here goes......a bit of a rant with a few fails from Sky TS and Sky Talk TS . Sky came ...

johnpcampbell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17

Here goes......a bit of a rant with a few fails from Sky TS and Sky Talk TS.

Sky came round to do an installation on Sunday 26th of July for my new flat i moved into the day before. They installed Amstrad box with the old EPG (why are they still sending boxes with the old EPG out??) . I'm in a block of flats so have a communal dish so would be only able to have one satellite cable coming into the box so would mean limited functionality on the box.

At the end of the installation the engineer advised that there was no signal coming into the box so there was a problem with the dish / the boosters that boost the signal from the roof. (Picture 1) He advised to ask the landlords / management of the flat.

I spoke to my landlord who had no idea about the booster etc. I found the booster in a cupboard in the communal hallway and made sure everything was pluged in and powered up.

Still no luck, a few more calls to sky followed as I then found on a few forums that the old EPG can sometimes have problems with the single feed, on the new EPG there is a setting to switch it on.

The signal was coming down the line as everything looked good with the signal, the flats pretty new and the normal TV signal works fine. I managed to get another engineer to come out the 2nd of August.

They didn't come due to personal reasons. Sky called up to say that they might get someone out to see me. They rang back and nobody come come and arranged another person to come on Wednesday next week.

Ironically was meant to go on the Sky Bike Ride in Manchester that day but was in waiting for the engineer who never turned up (again not sky's fault if the guy had a personal problem at home.)

I then was getting itchy feet so took my box round to a friends also with a communal dish. I plugged it in and hey presto it worked fine.

That then pretty much made sure that the problem was with the line in my flat. but.... i took it back to my flat plugged it in and it worked ????

I'm nor sure why, the set up was the same but it seems plugging it into my friends flat sparked the box into life.

I rang back sky and cancelled the new appointment for Wednesday as the signal was now working! I then asked for the Sky Sports and HD to be activated. They did this and asked to wait 10 to 12 hours.

Waited 10 to 12 hours.

Nothing worked, i had a message 07 wrong card in the box (Picture 2 below). Rang back up and they sent a new signal down the line, i was told it was different to the other signal that was sent 24 hours ago.

Waiting 10 to 12 hours.

Nothing happened still error 07. But now the box kept on crashing while watching a freeview channel like channel 4. There were different crashed.

a) grey fuzzy screen
      b) audio would carry on by the image frezze
      c) crash in the EPG freeze audio stop
      d) can't switch on, just get a red light.

When this happens I turned unplugged the box and waited 5 mins. PLugged back in wait 2 mins then turned back on. Some times it works sometimes it doesn't worked as per d).

I went on holiday from the 6th till the 9th of August. So picked it back up last night, 10th August, where it gets more interesting.

Rang up explaining the box crashes, TS advised to get an engineer out to look at the box. But it might be the case that my lack of a phone line is a problem ( ... more on that below ..) They can only do a wednesday 12 til 5. I work during the day, need 11 days notice for a day off, if I pull a sickie I don't get paid and sickies are something I Don't do. I could try to work from home for the afternoon.... but don't have Broadband to work with.

So... Sky Talk (phone line) was activated on the Monday i thought that i would try to get Broadband working, what's the worst that can happen?

Rank up Sky Talk phone line activated ! Great given a number 0161 4*** ***. Put over to sales to get max broadband put on, 10 a month with Sky Talk. .... Stop. can't put the Broadband down the line as the postcode doesn't match up to my postcode.

Advised to ring up BT to ask them to change the details on the account to get the postcode correct. Rang BT 40 min wait, they can't do it as need to ring CS in the morning.

I then try to phone my new number 0161 4*** *** ... ring ring . ring ring btu no phone at my flat ringing......... Then a girl answers,

girl : hello!
      me : ah crap"
      girl : sorry
      me : this is meant to be my new telephone number..... guessing it isn't.
      girl : no
      me : is m20 *** your post code ? ( the incorrect postcode sky have given me to get changed by BT)
      girl : yes, how did you know that?
      me : long story, sorry for interrupting your night,. goodnight.
      girl : ok?

So Sky have managed not to activate my line but give me the telephone number of an active line of someone who live wrong the cornet . So thats why they can't put broadband down the line.

I rang back Sky saying that i can't get the postcode changed by BT as it's a correct post code for the phone number, but the phone number isn't mine. It takes a few explainations to the TS to get it wrong their head, I get the phone number again to make sure I didn't write it down incorrectly. I didn't.

It was left last night with someone calling me back from 17:00 pm today from the department who can look into the the reason why the phone line isn't working.

At the end of it Day 17, no Sky, no Sky Sports, no Sky Sports HD, no Sky Talk, no Sky Broadband.

If you have read all the way to the bottom of this then thanks, it's taken some of my frustration out. I would suggest that you make sure that you have a active phone line before trying to get Sky installed so you don't get the same problems i have had.

So far the people at Sky have been nice customer service wise but technically very poor and being let down by I'm guessing the hardware and BT with the wrong phone number being give?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17-photo-3-.jpg   Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17-photo-4-.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky + HD, Sky Talk and Broadband not working - Day 17

As I see it you have at least two separate problems. The first is the Sky box which seems to be faulty and Sky wish to change it but you can't arrange a suitable date between. The solution to that you obviously know!

The second problem is relating to the telephone line. I had a not dis-similar problem a couple of years ago with BT claiming my line was active and fully working when they hadn't even connect the property to the telephone system. That seemed such an easy problem to solve but dealing with BT was a total nightmare and I finsihed up corresponding with the 'Office of the Chairman' at BT's Registered Offices. That was sorted out - eventually - when I found an Openreach engineer up a pole in the street and explained my problem which he sorted out without any paperwork, otherwise I could still be waiting. So don't expect anything other than hassle from BT.

However if Sky have already installed your Sky box I'd have assumed they would have done a simple postcode check before you were allowed an account. So they should have picked up a problem at that point, but somehow didn't. Insist they get the correct postcode and correct house/apartment number and you are part way to a solution.

Exchange:
      Thanks

A little update and things are not getting any better. I didn't get a call after five today as promised yesturday.

I rangup at around 9:45 spoke to TS the lady then tried to put me through to provisions who can sort be phone line problem.... She cut me off the line ( second time this has happened, won't be the last).

Rang back up spoke to a fella who was helpful, but provisions had shut. He told me they open from nine til ten, not five till ten as the last person I spoke to yesturday told me.

I can handle technical fault but the customer service is being let down now with not getting call backs, cut off the line and getting too much conflicting information. I'm calling back tomorrow to speak to provisions, guesing they raise it with BT which won't help speed things on???

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi dms05 yes, often getting straight to an engineer can be the quickest way.

I've rang up this morning and spoken to provisioning and got it all sorted in 22 mins. Bt made the fault and i now have a new number activated sometime today. Once that is done should be able to get broadband ordered and also get some progress on getting the TV working too