Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Matching viewing card to Sky box

This is a discussion on Matching viewing card to Sky box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Can anyone advise on the set up routine to match your Sky viewing card with a different Sky box? I ...

Yorkshire Traveller is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleckheaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Matching viewing card to Sky box

Can anyone advise on the set up routine to match your Sky viewing card with a different Sky box?

I know this can be done without calling Sky as the Sky engineer did this when we moved from ordinary Sky to Sky+. He followed a certain set up routine that made the box dial into Sky and match the box with the card.

The reason for wanting to do this is that we will keep our Sky+ box in the house and use our old Sky box in our motorhome - we need to be able to switch the viewing card between the two boxes when we go away (and return!)

Any help much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Matching viewing card to Sky box

The clue is in your description of what the Sky installer did. You say that he made the box dial into sky. This requires that the box is connected to a phone line which I am assuming isn't the case with your motorhome. There is no return path to Sky via the dish - Pictures come down from the Satellite via the dish but signals back to sky go via the phone line which is why they like to insist that you keep the box connected to the phone permanently.

You have three options. The first is to move the card and then call sky's usual phone number to pair the card manually. You will be asked for the serial number of the box. Sky don't mind doing this occasionally but I guess that they may smell a rat if you do it every weekend.

Second option is to take the old box out of your motor home and bring it into the house. Connect it to the phone line and you can then either call them or go into the installer's menu (System> 4 > 01 > Select) to pair the card. I don't know what Sky's policy is on use of the system in a mobile home but I'd have a fiver that says they won't like it. Even pairing the box automatically like this is likely to flag your record up with sky if you do it too often - have never done this myself other than when a sky box is out of order for a while so I may be completely wrong here.

The third option (and the simplest in my opinion) is just to disconnect your new box and take it with you when you use the motor home. Plug it into the sat dish and power in the motorhome and away you go (Don't worry about the phone - If you have had Sky for more than 12 months it isn't compulsory anyway unless you have multiroom). This way you don't need to faff about pairing cards all the time and Sky won't know.

The fourth option in this increasingly inaccurate trilogy of options is not to bother moving the card at all. You won't get the paid for channels obviously but the number of "Free to View" channels is pretty long now (Includes all of the main terrestrial channels - All BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc). All you need is a sky box with no card in it to receive them this way.

Hope this is helpful.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 13-06-08 at 04:38 PM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Terrific answer.

I used a very old Pace box in my Motorhome for years as FTA (ie no card). Took it as far as Portugal. Of course many of the main FTA channels (BBC/ITV) are on Astra 2D but you should be OK on a mini-dish in the UK and most of France plus Spain but only as far as Barcelona on the Mediterranean coast. The signal drops off quite quickly as you go east into Germany. I used a motorised 65cm dish and could also tune into Astra 1 and Hotbird using the Sky box - a few extra English language programmes when out of Astra 2D range.

Thanks

Dear Ratcliffes & dms05 - thanks for your most helpful replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      Second option is to take the old box out of your motor home and bring it into the house. Connect it to the phone line and you can then either call them or go into the installer's menu (System> 4 > 01 > Select) to pair the card. I don't know what Sky's policy is on use of the system in a mobile home but I'd have a fiver that says they won't like it. Even pairing the box automatically like this is likely to flag your record up with sky if you do it too often - have never done this myself other than when a sky box is out of order for a while so I may be completely wrong here.

The third option (and the simplest in my opinion) is just to disconnect your new box and take it with you when you use the motor home. Plug it into the sat dish and power in the motorhome and away you go (Don't worry about the phone - If you have had Sky for more than 12 months it isn't compulsory anyway unless you have multiroom). This way you don't need to faff about pairing cards all the time and Sky won't know.this way.
      The second option is what I was after! Many thanks.

Option three is what I was planning to do originally, but I am a bit worried about the bumps and judders that the Sky+ box would receive and possible damage that could occur (and the heat in sothern Europe). Some posters on the Forum suggest that this should be OK, whereas others have warned against this - so I'm in a quandry!

Incidentally, I did phone Sky and ask them if it would be OK to mount the Sky+ box vertically and they said yes, but make sure that the ventilation holes are not blocked. They asked why I wanted to do this and I did say that it was for use in the motorhome. They then asked if I was going to use this overseas (which isn't allowed) and ahem I said of course not - just using it in the motorhome for week-ends away they seemed fine with this.

Any further help and advice much appreciated.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 15-06-08 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Did it work?
      I'm guessing not. When an installer comes round and does his install, the system is already aware of your smartcard ID and the fact its about to be paired to a box, the system is waiting for the callback from the stb to identify the smartcards new home. But if you are just trying to pair your own box, the system isn't expecting it and I think it will fail.
      I think the only way to pair your card and a new (to you) box is to call Sky.
      I'll be interested to see how it goes!

Thanks

Haven't tried yet - just got back from a week-end away in the motorhome.

Will report back if I decide to do this rather than simply take my Sky+ box away with us (which I think is the most likely scenario!)

moleytowle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: SKY PLUS
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This is my first post and not sure If this is were i post it but here goes,will my sky+ work ok in spain without a phoneline,we are moving to spain,and selling our house in uk,will live in a mobile home,so was also wondering about paying for subsciption,we are leaving our dish and putting the old sky box on when we leave and will cancel sky from this address.would be grateful for any advice

LinkBacks (?)