Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky TV - shoddy service - avoid

This is a discussion on Sky TV - shoddy service - avoid within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just had satellite installed by Sky and I have never experienced a more shoddy service. Each and every step of ...

shane-smith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Sky TV - shoddy service - avoid

Just had satellite installed by Sky and I have never experienced a more shoddy service.

Each and every step of the process has been a complete joke. I think there have been 20 seperate points on which Sky and their installers have screwed up.

For example, the Sky website would not accept the sort code of my bank account, even though I triple checked it and it works without problems on dozens of other websites.

Today I had my 'dish' installed by Sky Tech Services Limited. I put 'dish' in inverted commas, because the installers just used my neighbours dish. I told them I didn't want that.

When I tried to ring Sky to say I didn't want that, I was kept on hold for 20 minutes. What followed was a farcical discussion in which the representative insisted I was getting a new dish whereas I could see with my own eyes and the installers themselves admitting that I wouldn't.

Sky then got the manager of the installers to ring them and the installer told the manager that I would get a new dish - while I was standing next to him.

Still they were using the neighbours.

I rang Sky again on their 0870 number and, after hanging on for ages, Sky first said I DID have a new dish and when I insisted I didn't she changed her story and said I would not get my own dish on "environmental grounds" and I'd have to share my neighbours dish.

Now, a few hours later, I can't access most channels on Sky.

I have tried to ring the installers on both the numbers they gave me, which they said I could call anytime for help, and both the numbers are dead!

Can't believe this joke of a company is allowed to operate in this country.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky TV - shoddy service - avoid

The above was a few days ago. Now, ten phone calls later, I'm still left here pulling my hair out.

Sky is the biggest joke I have ever experienced. Instead of hype-ridden ads, they should focus on providing quality service.

I am currently holding onto their 0870 line which has cost me so much money over the last few days.

Finally arranged for somebody to come today and Sky promised me we'd get our own dish as the channels were not working. Guy just walked into the flat, didn't speak to us, looked at the tele, went on the roof and then, a few minutes later came down. He said "problem solved" and started walking off. I asked him whether he'd installed the new dish and he said no, it wasn't his responsibility, and just walked off.

Our channels are still not working! I'm astounded that Sky can treat customers like this.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Just saw you said 'flat'. How high is it as in, is it 'multi story', are you allowed a dish on each flat, is your neighbours dish actually a communial dish for the whole block?
      If your in what we call a '2 up 2 down' ( block of 4 ), then using your neighbours would be a no no on Sky's part but if your in a block of flats then you might find a communial dish is what your really on and probably all the local council will allow?
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your response.

It is a house with four flats. Each flat has their own dish, except mine.

The fact is that these shabby installers just can't be bothered to do their job. They just want to make their money and leave. (I used to believe that the people "on the bottom" of society deserved to get paid better, but based on how most installers/builders operate, I will never feel sorry for them again. 95% I've experienced are crooks, pure and simple.)

The guy today spent 10 minutes from start to finish. As he was coming down from the room he said "All OK now" and just rushed away. He didn't even bother to check if the channels were working - which would have taken two minutes in total - before he scarpered.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Personally,in my own experience, Sky's own installers always seem to do their jobs well and i've found the sub contractors to be the worst. My original installation took 6 visits before it worked due to the LNB constantly 'blowing'! It finally took a phone call to the actual sub contractors office before i got satisfaction. ( don't ask how i got the number )
      Does your neighbour know your wires are connected to his dish because surely that alone has to be illegal, maybe get him to call up and complain that the installers "stolen" a point on his LNB? Or even worse has he spliced into the cable !!
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Huntsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I just had my Sky box upgraded to Sky+ and as you all know, apart from changing the dish, everything else is renewed. The Sky fitter arrived when he said he would did his job very professionally and was really friendly as well. It was a real pleasure to have him working for me.

As I've said in my previous posts about Sky broadband, "WELL DONE SKY".

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pleased to hear your installation went well Huntsman and thank you for telling us all about it.

Sky's customer support supervisor promised me I would be called at 20:30 yesterdy and I wasn't.

Today it's windy and I have noticed that the wire down from the satellite on the roof is flying in the wind - it is flapping more than a metre away from the wall!

Guesswot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWNABB
      Broadband ISP: Be & 3 mobile
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD, FreeSat
      Thanks

On the five or so occasions that I have had Sky dishes installed in various locations I have always been impressed by the efficency and friendliness of the respective installers. No consolation to you, I know and I hope your situation is resolved quickly.
      "the moving finger, having writ, moved on"

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems Shane but please don't keep re-creating the same discussion under different titles.

It's hard enough following stories without them being split up over several topics.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...