Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree7Likes
    • 2 Post By Isitme
    • 1 Post By IDontWatchTV
    • 1 Post By IDontWatchTV
    • 3 Post By IDontWatchTV

Leaving Sky TV, if they'll let me.

This is a discussion on Leaving Sky TV, if they'll let me. within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hello there! Just wondering if anyone could help me out here...I've been with Sky almost 4 years now, I've never ...

IDontWatchTV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thumbs down Leaving Sky TV, if they'll let me.

Hello there!
      Just wondering if anyone could help me out here...I've been with Sky almost 4 years now, I've never really had a problem with them or their service in the past but I'm needing to save on my costs so as my contract for the Sky TV ended years ago I figured I'd just knocked it on the head for a bit (I'd planned on returning) while I pay off some bills.
      So I contact Sky explained to them that I'm needing to cut costs, the TV is barely watched, the movie channels have never been watched since we got it so I'd like to cancel. The response I got was "How about Sky multiroom and the full movies package for just £13 extra a month" I declined and told them this would defeat the point of my contacting them, which was to cancel and save money.
      After an hour and a half talking with one of them...I tell them I have to go as I had another appointment, the lady replied "That's fine, I've put notes on your account so you don't need to go through all this again." Stupidly I believed her!

Around an hour later when I returned home I contacted them again, told the chap to check the notes on my account, he said he looked but he had to go through the procedure again or the system won't let him do anything. About 45-50 minutes in he starts giving me downgrade/discount options, I asked if downgrading and changing my subscription would recontract me....disconnected.
      Frustration sets in...so I took a few momments to make a cup of tea and calm down and contacted them for a 3rd time. I tell myself "this time I'm not going through all that again"
      I opened with "Hi, I'm calling to cancel my sky TV, I'm not looking to downgrade nor am I seeking any discounts, I'd just like to cancel." a few seconds of silence....disconnected!

Ok 4th time....I go through the procedure again, after telling the man on no less than 14 occasions that weren't interested and I'd like to cancel, he's still trying to sell me stuff, so I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager as he weren't taking no for an answer. He says "ok, I've issued your 31 days cancellation notice" 31 days notice I'm not under contract I replied he then claims that it was in the terms and conditions that I had to give 31 days notice. I asked him to tell me where it says that, he quotes the following (which I've since foudn on page 2 of Sky+HD t & c, January 2015 http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/SkyPlusHD.pdf)
      If you select a different Service (where available) and the change will result in a reduction to your
      Subscription Payment you must give us at least 31 daysí notice. We can charge a reasonable
      administration fee if you wish to change your Service. We will let you know the amount of any
      fee in advance.
      Now here's the way I see it, I'm not selecting a different Service...I'm neither downgrading, accepting discounts nor going to a competitor, I'm cancelling an existing service. He disagree's and out of nowhere...I'm disconnected again. I didn't contact them again...as I'd of been far less than polite trying to talk to one of them for a 5th time that day, I've since been sent an e-mail stating that they're sorry to see me go... oh and by the way you need to pay for next months TV!

Anyone got any advice on what I could do here?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Leaving Sky TV, if they'll let me.

Sounds like you've been given a right run around.

Whether you do or don't owe them for another month is a moot point. Depends whether you are bound by that condition i.e. was that condition in place for your original contract or if not have you agreed to the new terms and conditions? But here is not the right place to get into discussion about the legalities.

My advice would be to pay up as you are at risk of getting a hit to your credit rating if you don't. Then I'd suggest you email the Sky executive complaint team (jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com should work). Keep your email even tempered, concise and to the point. Tell them what has happened and ask two questions: are you bound by the terms and conditions to pay the extra month; is it reasonable that a customer should have such an unpleasant time when trying to leave Sky? My expectation is that you will get an informed response to the former and an apology for the latter. If you are in fact liable for the charge then you may find that it is waived because of the treatment you've had. But that will be entirely down to the executive team to decide on merit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

IDontWatchTV (19-02-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ty for the reply, I've e-mailed that address kept it as short as could, whilst still getting my point across.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the point you may have missed is that when your 12 months minimum contract is up you automatically go on to a rolling 1 month contract. To end that contract you have to give 31 days notice. As payments are taken 1 month in advance you are infact paying for the 31 days notice. Anything you pay over and above the cancellation period will be returned to your account.

I also think the treatment you have received is disgraceful and merits an official complaint. Unfortunately Sky are not the only ones guilty of having to give details again and again. I had occasion to call Tesco Mobile yesterday about renewing a phone contact, at the first call just before everything was sewn, up the line dropped. Called back and had to go through everything again. Once again just before the it was completed, the line went dead. Called back for the third time and was asked to go through it all again, this time I said no, told the agent what had happened and he said, hold on, I will call you back. True enough he called back and yes once again I had to go through it all again, this time with success. Received an email from them to say how happy I was with the transaction, needless to say I told them just how unhappy I was with the whole thing.
      Meteosat and Scubbie like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paulm94 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Cancel direct debit that'll get there attention

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulm94 View Post
      Cancel direct debit that'll get there attention
      And at the least negatively effect your credit rating, so not particularly good advice.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update.
      Removed the movie package which has never been used...checked my planner and there was only 3 movies recorded from sky movie channels.
      Got 50% off phone, broadband and tv for next 10 months, no contract and £69 credit which covers the next 2 months.
      This was all set up by the retention team the only reply I got off the complaints department was an e-mail saying they'd tried to phone me and couldn't get through...I was actually on the phone with the retention team at the time they tried.

All in all I think this is a bit of a result, almost worth the headaches they initially gave me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IDontWatchTV View Post
      All in all I think this is a bit of a result, almost worth the headaches they initially gave me.
      Scratch that I've just done the calculations works out to a £450 (rounded down) saving over the next 10 months.
      geezerone likes this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Did they remove the movies there and then or do you have to wait 31 days?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Removed there and then, credited my account as I'd already paid for this month...the complaints team just called me 2 minutes ago to let me know that it'll take a few days for it to update on my bill.

It's actually amazing how much gets done when you kick up a fuss.
      Scubbie likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IDontWatchTV View Post
      It's actually amazing how much gets done when you kick up a fuss.
      Sorry that should be kick up a fuss in the right way, in the e-mail I sent them I made it clear that it was the process that I was complaining about and not the people I'd spoke with, as they were just doing there job the bad lines/connection weren't there fault and to be honest I'd of been insulted if they hadn't of tried to retain me as a customer.
      I don't think I'd of been so even tempered had I of complained over the phone.
      Scubbie, gymno and seawright like this.