Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of leaving Sky after 15 years

This is a discussion on Thinking of leaving Sky after 15 years within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; After a bit of Sky customer service disaster trying to replace my old router thats on it's way out, I ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking of leaving Sky after 15 years

After a bit of Sky customer service disaster trying to replace my old router thats on it's way out, I rang once more after they hadn't rung back for the third time! I got my credit for the wrong router they sent, but it took 30 mins on the phone for something that should be automatic! The Sky lady was very helpful and I got it sorted and I could order a new N router for 35 but I just got through a deal from Virgin, where I get a new N router for free, a new Tivo box that can record 2 channels at once whilst watching a third! plus all the usual download channels etc, but also the 50mb broadband for not a lot more than I'm paying Sky and it's half price for 6 months.
      So I wondered why I should stay, Sky said they would make us an offer to stay given the length of time I have been with them, but given the extra channel we could record, the free router and the super fast internet it is very tempting. The price difference would be Sky = 75 Virgin = 94 (50mb) 84 (10-30mb)

I also just found out they have unlimited backup and free security, dam now I'm tempted, any thoughts on why I shouldn't switch? Been with Sky so long it's a bit scary to give em up.

2. Advertisement
      mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of leaving Sky after 15 years

Depend if you spend more of your free time watching tv or surffing. Sky has more TV channels, though some would argue whether "more" is "better". I would cos I'm a sad channel hopper

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,219 Times in 2,088 Posts

Now-a-days no one says that you should stay with any single firm.

Sky's current publicity says 'demand better'. Everyone has been waiting for a Sky router that works with WiFi n for too long now.

I've just looked at your telephone exchange on SamKnows. You should get FTTC in your area from March 2012.

If Sky has launched their first Fibre products by then, then you might be able to get up to 40Mb or 80Mb connection, with up to between 1.5 & 20Mb upload speed. We have no details on the T&Cs or the prices at this stage.

Personally I've opted to use my own router. Sure it cost me 135 but it is running a lot smoother than the two Sky routers I have used, even if there are some bugs with the firmware.

I am not advising you to take this path, but there are WiFi n routers available for as little as 15. Another member recently got a nicely spec'd WiFi n router for 30.

Each ISP has their issues. As for the TV coverage, Sky does appear to be able to offer the widest range of channels. They are not letting anyone else broadcast Sky Atlantic. They do have 57 HD Channels (including Sky 3D, 2 Box Office channels & 2 demo channels).

Unfortunately they have locked down the Sky STB. The TiVo does support streaming the content to other storage devices, whereas the Sky STBs do not at present.

Sky are currently in negotiations to add BBC iPlayer. I believe that the TiVo already does this. It also allows you to watch the content on a phone, iPad or computer, something that the Sky STBs still don't do.

TiVo Premiere & Premiere XL Product Details - TiVo

The things that do concern me are:

• history of spying on customers computers
      • poor customer service in the past (not sure about current state)
      • throttling people who download torrents

Ultimately there are people who like what Virgin has to offer and there are those who like what Sky has to offer. The choice is yours.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

everything said is very valid. But you have to factor in a few more things

1) Sky go is available to all Sky TV customers, so you can watch the channels you subscribe to on PC/Mac/Xbox and horrendous Apple devices. Android coming soon, and more channels to be added. Can't do that on Virgin.
      2) You will soon be able to get free access to The Cloud, or whatever they are re-branding it to. This should be free for Sky Broadband Unlimited customers, but prices aren't definite yet. May be free for all Sky Broadband customers.
      3) Sky have a few new developments coming which will improve Anytime+ and the overall functionality of the boxes. Lets just say that there is a reason that the standard (non +) HD boxes have Ethernet ports.

Yeah sure Virgin may have the offers just now, but in a couple of months Sky will be right back on top, and people will be flooding back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan. View Post
      ...I would cos I'm a sad channel hopper
      I'm going to arrange for your remote to 'vanish' sometime over the next couple of days.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I'm going to arrange for your remote to 'vanish' sometime over the next couple of days.
      where you gonna hide it? Or get another one and we can play "hopping wars"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan. View Post
      where you gonna hide it? Or get another one and we can play "hopping wars"
      If I told you where I was going to hide it, it wouldn't be as much fun now would it?

As for the other remote, I've already hidden the spare batteries.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mcphailan. (09-09-11)

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      everything said is very valid. But you have to factor in a few more things

1) Sky go is available to all Sky TV customers, so you can watch the channels you subscribe to on PC/Mac/Xbox and horrendous Apple devices. Android coming soon, and more channels to be added. Can't do that on Virgin.
      2) You will soon be able to get free access to The Cloud, or whatever they are re-branding it to. This should be free for Sky Broadband Unlimited customers, but prices aren't definite yet. May be free for all Sky Broadband customers.
      3) Sky have a few new developments coming which will improve Anytime+ and the overall functionality of the boxes. Lets just say that there is a reason that the standard (non +) HD boxes have Ethernet ports.

Yeah sure Virgin may have the offers just now, but in a couple of months Sky will be right back on top, and people will be flooding back.
      Thanks for all the replies , as ever Scubbie lots of useful unbiased info to think over!

Yes I do use Sky player occasionally, so that would be bad to lose, I have no idea what you mean by horrendous Apple devices, don't fall into the Apple knocker brigade, they make some amazing stuff and the evil company some like to make out, I'm an electrical engineer and work with Mac's and PC's, & I wouldn't be without my iPhone & iPad now, Google is far bigger than Apple and will control the mobile market at any cost, they make nothing apart from ad money and give Android away for free, because they want to control more of the net! so I woudn't be to eager to jump on the Android wagon.
      I am a big Sky supporter otherwise I wouldn't have stayed so long, but it's Tivo box and the all the extra's are a strong offer, they even offered me 2 Tivo boxes for free so I could have multi room at no extra cost! PLus I would get the N router plus it's covered for as long as you stay with them.

As for the Sky boxes getting an upgrade to pull people back well as Scubbie says it won't be till we get fibre will it be of any use as all downloads are shared so Anytime will always be slower than Virgin's high speed cable, they give a dedicated 10mb line just for their Anytime thats not shared with your internet!
      I often have to transfer large files (no not torrents) so the mega 5mb & 10mb upload speed is very tempting. It is a min 18 month contract though and a lot can change next year with the FTTC, dam I dunno more confused than ever now

One thing you say there are more channels than Sky is there a comparison list somewhere? I asked Virgin and they said it's now the same, the HD channels are very important.
      Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      Thanks for all the replies , as ever Scubbie lots of useful unbiased info to think over!
      Awww....

The thing is, immediately anyone say 'ah but this is 100 times better than that' someone is bound to say 'no it isn't'.

Each has their merits. If either was so bad, then the press would be full of negative stories and within months they'd be broke.

As for the channel line up, take a look at Wikipedia. See if what you watch is there. If it isn't then it is something to think about.

List of channels on Virgin TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of channels on Sky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ultimately I have to assume that you are an adult and can make an informed choice. There are several members on here who have a Sky product, but who also have Virgin products. They are happy with their choices and we have to respect that.

I don't get commission for getting people to buy things, so it doesn't really worry me. If anything the competition is good for us all. If Sky ruled the TV world in the UK & Eire, then this would be a bad thing.

Reinholder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Plymouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

These days, no company deserves loyalty unless they earn it. That said.

Up until January, I had been with virgin for the best part of six years; I paid before the due date without fail - I was on the Virgin Media XX(X)L package, which is everything all in, and for the most part I was left alone. That was, of course, until i'd bought an xbox and and upgraded my computer so that I could take advantage of the steam christmas sales.

I should point out that the only things I had downloaded until then were the odd TV show, and music through iTunes - so imagine my surprise when I received a letter in January informing me that I had exceeded their fair usage policy, and that my bandwidth usage was detrimental to others on my exchange. I admit, I'd bought a lot of games over christmas, used XBLA more than I had done over the enirety of giving Virgin my custom, but I was still very much confused how they could consider me to be detrimental to my neighbourhood. Confused, I phoned up virgin to ask for an explanation and was told (and there is no exaggeration here, I promise this is the truth) that I should be grateful for virgin's service, was ridiculed by the customer service rep on the other line (repeatedly), and told that if I just "paid the f--king bill, there won't be any further problems".

Within the hour, I phoned up sky, organised the package that I'm on now, gave virgin my notice and haven't looked back since.

To be fair, Virgin have, in the past, offered excellent service and value for money, but as Neil Berkett continues to sell off assets to concentrate on the core broadband business, the margin between the value for money in pure, balanced entertainment that sky offer, and the blazing fast speeds that Virgin offer are broadening; granted, Virgin have the new TiVo system, but honestly? The amount on offer doesn't really weigh up - and I haven't been impressed with TiVo ever since I got my hands on it in the states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast