Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Like Tree25Likes

4K Receiver

This is a discussion on 4K Receiver within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; After a brief read through this thread, I really cant see why any new 4K box would need a dedicated ...

Tricky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Talktalk fast
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 4K Reciever

After a brief read through this thread, I really cant see why any new 4K box would need a dedicated LNB, I have a Samsung 4K TV with its own sat tuner and can receive the Astra 4K demo channel with no problem, using a universal octo LNB.

As for storage I am not sure about a 2t box being enough, as your average film takes 40gig average, I did hear that content is more likely to be streamed, and use cloud storage, which would make more sense as it would likely help Sky sell more fiber broadband.

Me I have gone for Netflix for my 4K content, with as much if not more than Sky are likely to be able to muster, and I suspect at a fraction of the price.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's not 4K that's the problem. It is the ability to record three channels and watch a fourth. With the current LNBs this would require four cables between the dish and the set top box. I agree 2TB will be insufficient for 4K content but initially there won't be many 4K channels and these will probably have HD programmes interspersed with UHD.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Hold on a moment...

The Sky+ HD STB can and do allow you to record 3 items at once already, whilst watching a 3rd.

Ok, you can record two live channels via the LNB feeds and download another from CUTV. The final item would have to be something that you'd already recorded.

Technically it could do a little more at the same time, but sadly we never got that feature .

Storage space is an issue if we are looking to keep 4K content. Many cinemas have been showing all the latest releases in 4K for a number of years now, so it is safe to assume that there is a lot of 4K content that Sky could should via a new Movie channel. As for other content, that's where Netflix has already gained ground over Sky.

What is sad is that Sky have had to compete for the rights of films against more providers than before. This means that Netflix and Amazon had been successfully bidding for content that previously would have landed on the Sky systems.

It will be interesting to know what the details are of the new Sky product. I am hoping that it won't be the one box and that there will be a cheap option to add multiple boxes in various rooms. With a central box that has a large drive (WD supplies a 4TB PVR drive), each 'satellite' box could take it's feed from there. This technology isn't too difficult. Just look at a NAS.

With that in mind, a suitable central box cold actually be a kind of NAS with a simple method of adding additional drives in case of a failure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I was thinking the same thing Scubbie & did wonder why 'record 4 channels simultaneously' wasn't there.

I really should learn to stick with my instincts - assume nothing, question everything.

Thanks

At this time we don't know what's in the new boxes.

I would have thought that someone would have considered the fact that demanding a new LNB would be difficult at best and impossible in many cases.

A lot of councils now insist that if a specific building complex has more than a predetermined number of dishes, then a single large dish should be installed with a suitable distribution system. This system is currently compatible with Freesat and Freesat HD broadcasts, as well as Sky as they share the same group of satellites.

Now if Sky are using a new group of Satellites then a new additional LNB would be required as it would be too expensive in the current climate to copy all the existing broadcasts to both sets.

Another thing to consider is the fact that both the BBC and Sky teamed up the other year to develop a system for 4K UHD together. I wouldn't be surprised if this were to be a joint launch.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Tricky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Talktalk fast
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree a network drive based PVR would be a very sensible option, that way the multi room side of things could be dealt with quite easy, obviously using encrypted channels to ensure only sky equipment could be used, I wouldn't be surprised if once the 4k system is released, the rest of sky's box system will be revamped as they will be out to recoup development costs, or of course the 4k system will end up being the only box, but with a choice of enabled features.

I wonder if they will make it a so part of the current system is utilized IE 2 feed LNB and the rest taken care of by fiber optics via cloud as on demand service, as they are not going to want everyone to be able record and save, like the current auto delete after expiry time, it also takes care of the limited storage issue.

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      It's not 4K that's the problem. It is the ability to record three channels and watch a fourth. With the current LNBs this would require four cables between the dish and the set top box. I agree 2TB will be insufficient for 4K content but initially there won't be many 4K channels and these will probably have HD programmes interspersed with UHD.
      Does that mean we are unlikely to see this recording capability anytime soon?

Thanks

Another possibility with a network PVR system isn't just that you can connect Sky 'satellite' boxes to it, but also being on your home network you could also stream content to say your Tablet, smart phone, PS4 or Xbox One.

Why stop there?

Upload speeds on Fibre connections are now such that you could stream content from your home to a tablet or phone whilst away from home.

Of course if the content is stored on 'The Cloud' then you wouldn't be limited to you own upload speed or bandwidth either.

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Another possibility with a network PVR system isn't just that you can connect Sky 'satellite' boxes to it, but also being on your home network you could also stream content to say your Tablet, smart phone, PS4 or Xbox One.

Why stop there?

Upload speeds on Fibre connections are now such that you could stream content from your home to a tablet or phone whilst away from home.

Of course if the content is stored on 'The Cloud' then you wouldn't be limited to you own upload speed or bandwidth either.
      Do any broadcasters around the world do this type of network PVR?

Also with things stored on the cloud won't you be at the mercy of your internet connection? I have fast internet but Virgin Media does breakdown a lot.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Why stop there?

Oh come on Scubbie, i bet you already know what the Qbox is.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast