Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Like Tree25Likes

4K Receiver

This is a discussion on 4K Receiver within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; Now wouldn't this be the way to go...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 4K Reciever

Now wouldn't this be the way to go

Last edited by lettice; 31-10-15 at 04:32 PM.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: HUMAX
      Thanks

Yes it would, a decently maintained catchup service (like genesis etc... on my nuc with kodi) renders 99% of the live tv side of the above(and any new) box completely pointless to us lucky buggers with reasonable bandwidth. No point recording stuff when it's already available without ads for instant streaming. Personally I'd like a download to pvr type option for 4k (and higher when it happens). I'm a reluctant watcher of these things, I'd happily pay Sky or any company if they could compete. Nothing actually worth having will ever come along (legally) as long as we keep getting shafted by the provider fragmentation and deferred region releases for the suits to get their cash. Also whatever sticky taped extra led or gui rubbish they add to the new box when it surfaces will be paid for by a ridiculous monthly tariff and shafting the poor old existing customers who won't get the new deal to upgrade. Gawd I really am a grumpy old git.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

There are a variety of different styles of EPGs that are more advanced that what we are used to with the various Sky TV systems.

I will be expecting something hugely better than what we currently have, but not necessarily a copy of some existing system.

Why?

Copyright. Patents. Money.

If Sky copies an existing system then they will have the experience of the original developers. Sure that sounds a good thing, but on the downside it means that they will be locked into paying royalties for each and every new Sky STB with 4K.

Over the past few years the Sky+ HD STB has moved away from the original architecture and improved hugely the overall viewing experience for many of their customers.

I'll refrain from saying all as many of the features that have been introduced benefit from having an Internet connection and not everyone has something which is suitable for the features.

From what we've heard, the new STB will work with both 4K UHD TVs and existing HD TVs. I've no idea if it will have a Scart socket, but it is worth pointing out that the latest SkyHD and Sky+ HD STBs only have the one Scart socket and no longer have any phone sockets. There is also no RF connections, relying instead on the IO Link.

What they do have is a built-in 300mb/s WiFi adapter (works on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels) and a 100mb/s Ethernet port. I would expect the Ethernet to be upgraded to a 1Gbit port, but I'm unsure about the WiFi. That would depend on how the 4k traffic works.

Ultimately there will have to be some things which Sky have copied from other providers. This will be because there will be some items that work too well and are popular in some respects, but also because there will be some things which are just unavoidable.

It is also worth casting our minds back to the various acquisitions, buy-outs and other deals that Sky have been mentioned in over the past few years. They wouldn't have spent the money on these projects unless they intended to utilise them.

Finally...

Whilst this announcement has been pushed in the UK, Sky now owns the brand/company in Germany and Italy. This would mean that any development money spent here in the UK could be increased as the same STB can be rolled across all three markets, with perhaps a little branding difference. Just how much of an increase is hard to say, but certainly we weren't talking a few hundred thousand when it was just for the UK & Ireland market.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello All
      I am sure that like many members : they are hoping that this new advanced sky box will be affordable for all without having to mortgage the family home !!
      I suspect that at this moment not many of us have purchased a 4k tv although many
      would love to have one !! Myself I own an 8 year old panasonic that works very well
      but is now 'Old Hat' when you look at the new models.
      When we got the new 2Tb box this was offered at 49 as an upgrade to the family pack
      lets hope sky offer something like that when this box is launched although at present
      4k televisions are way overpriced for many people I know including myself........

Just a Thought.......Great Final Today..well Done the All Blacks
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Based upon Sky's history, I would suspect that ny new box won't be discounted initially.

4K TVs have dropped in price significantly. Currys are selling a 40" Panasonic for around 389 at the moment. Of course there are other models and brands available at Currys and other places.

One of the features I saw on the German Sky+ HD STBs was an external drive unit. I believe that this would be appreciated in the UK too. Sadly the SATA port is no longer present on the newest models. Perhaps the developers have included the option for the new 4K STB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'll be amazed if they allow external storage..... doesn't seem to be Sky (UKs) approach.

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If the new Sky+ box is like Foxtel's iQ3, but reliable, it will be a great STB.

https://youtu.be/IwB6FGwJD90

https://youtu.be/OjA0uLtM2_4

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      If the new Sky+ box is like Foxtel's iQ3, but reliable, it will be a great STB.

https://youtu.be/IwB6FGwJD90

https://youtu.be/OjA0uLtM2_4
      Bluetooth remote
      Wave hand over to light it up

Dislikes:
      UI is too austere for a family machine
      The term 'trending'

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I like having the ability to still see live TV in the background. Much better than the mini TV. That has been something I have missed on the TV guide ever since the demise of Ceefax (teletext).

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Bluetooth remote
      Wave hand over to light it up

Dislikes:
      UI is too austere for a family machine
      The term 'trending'
      The ability to record more than two channels and still be able to watch another is something I saw enviously in Virgin TiVo. That's a clever box with a very clunky interface. More programme memory plus that is what I want from a Sky STB more than anything.
      Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I like having the ability to still see live TV in the background. Much better than the mini TV. That has been something I have missed on the TV guide ever since the demise of Ceefax (teletext).
      I like that too. But the square has advantages as you can see the whole picture unobstructed.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast