Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Like Tree14Likes

New sky Q box

This is a discussion on New sky Q box within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; Originally Posted by tech3475 I doubt they'd get rid of the Sky+HD2TB boxes instantly, chances are they'll keep any new ...

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Re: New sky Q box

Quote Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
      I doubt they'd get rid of the Sky+HD2TB boxes instantly, chances are they'll keep any new box as a 'premium' box for a while before making it the norm. Similar to what happened with Sky+ and Sky+HD.
      Initially Sky were in two minds about a universal box but eventually they moved to the single box type with Sky+HD being free for new customers after about 5 years. I'd expect them to narrow this window to a year as BT will be about a year ahead in making their box cheaper.
      Virgin ( Liberty Global) have shown no intention to race into 4K TV in any markets so far!
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

2. Advertisement
      tech3475 is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Initially Sky were in two minds about a universal box but eventually they moved to the single box type with Sky+HD being free for new customers after about 5 years. I'd expect them to narrow this window to a year as BT will be about a year ahead in making their box cheaper.
      Virgin ( Liberty Global) have shown no intention to race into 4K TV in any markets so far!
      Depends, I think Sky will take it steady initially unless BT do something to coax them further.

In theory, Sky could take the lead by:
      1) Making it standard
      2) Using it for on demand (giving it an advantage over netflix as it can cache)
      3) More than just two channels and not limited to the 'everything' package

But then 4K is only just starting to become mainstream and I can see it being a long time before it becomes the norm (if at all) plus it requires allot more bandwidth.

If they do just go for the Sky 3D style 'top end package with 1/2 channels', I doubt they'll go standard soon unless the chipset is cheap enough to produce or as I said BT coax them (e.g. free 4K for all).

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Regarding 4k i don't understand why people are comparing bt & sky.

The bt box merely offers, like netflix etc (& Roku soon it seems) a streaming service requiring a certain level of broadband performance.
      To even qualify for purchase of a UHD box from bt, they stipulate subscribing to a broadband package with a line capable of 44Mbps download speeds.

Please somebody tell me if i'm wrong but won't sky be pumping 4k into people's homes via satellite?

If so, with sky i'll continue to be able to game online perfectly fine using my (relatively) inexpensive ADSL connection, while at the same time somebody else in my home is watching or recording a 4k programme.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Regarding 4k i don't understand why people are comparing bt & sky.

The bt box merely offers, like netflix etc (& Roku soon it seems) a streaming service requiring a certain level of broadband performance.
      To even qualify for purchase of a UHD box from bt, they stipulate subscribing to a broadband package with a line capable of 44Mbps download speeds.

Please somebody tell me if i'm wrong but won't sky be pumping 4k into people's homes via satellite?

If so, with sky i'll continue to be able to game online perfectly fine using my (relatively) inexpensive ADSL connection, while at the same time somebody else in my home is watching or recording a 4k programme.
      They're being compared because they offer a similar service, the BT box is a hybrid of Freeview and IPTV, BT sports/BTTV use IPTV, hence the requirement (there's very little/no buffer due to the way it works which can cause issues based on my experience).

In regards to Sky, I can't say, chances are though it would be through the dish although I wonder whether bandwidth issues or business reasons may limit it's use.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by tech3475
      They're being compared because they offer a similar service
      Streaming bt over a minimum 44Mbps internet connection vs. tuning it in on your sky Qbox is not comparing similar services.

In fact it's chalk n' cheese & i wish people would stop doing it.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Streaming bt over a minimum 44Mbps internet connection vs. tuning it in on your sky Qbox is not comparing similar services.

In fact it's chalk n' cheese & i wish people would stop doing it.
      I consider them similar services because at the end they're suppose to deliver a similar product i.e. TV.

Just because you don't like the transmission method doesn't invalidate the comparison, if anything it's something you take into account when comparing the two.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
      I consider them similar services because at the end they're suppose to deliver a similar product i.e. TV.

Just because you don't like the transmission method doesn't invalidate the comparison, if anything it's something you take into account when comparing the two.
      It's not that i "don't like the transmission method".
      That would be missing the point, like you obviously have.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's not that i "don't like the transmission method".
      That would be missing the point, like you obviously have.
      If it's not a personal preference then why can't they be compared?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

1) One service offers TV without any detrimental effect your broadband.

2) The other service offers TV with...

Oh what's the point.
      I give up.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1) One service offers TV without any detrimental effect your broadband.

2) The other service offers TV with...

Oh what's the point.
      I give up.
      The feeling is mutual, because again that doesn't invalidate people being able to compare them because they're a similar end product i.e. TV.

The issues you mention are something you discuss while comparing the two.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast