Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree14Likes

New sky Q box

This is a discussion on New sky Q box within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; Originally Posted by vfx No! Why? All my boxes are connected via Ethernet. ^^ I'll bet the new box is ...

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New sky Q box

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      No! Why? All my boxes are connected via Ethernet.

^^

I'll bet the new box is over 250.
      Sorry, my mistake there, did not make myself clear, it was mentioned that they will be wireless between the boxes or devices, so wireless content/recording/sharing and cloud enabled possibly.
      There is also some bluetooth connectivity, but that may be more for the remote functions.
      Of course would expect the main box to have wireless and ethernet as now and perhaps another wireless only box option as now.
      One other thing, when uhd does turn up as part of the package, will this stop the hd premium and uhd take over? There are still many who currently do not pay for HD, so its still a premium option for them.
      Last edited by lettice; 27-07-15 at 04:05 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

It does say in the original article "It will wirelessly beam content to smartphones and tablets around the home," I would expect this to be to devices which cannot connect to a large screen TV. This would protect the multiscreen subs.

I wonder if I am getting carried away with myself when I think the Q box may be the router and TV box combined. This is the rumour mill after all.
      reddwarfcrew likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Being able to record four programmes at once (assuming off-air) will require four satellite feeds, so a maximum of two Q boxes from one dish unless quatro LNBs and multiswitches are being fitted as standard.
      Fibre Optic LNB support?
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Fibre Optic LNB support?
      I did wonder about that but then the dish would require its own power supply which would require earth bonding by a qualified electrician. I'm assuming that current Sky installers are not required to have this qualification.

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello Seawright :
      I would like Sky to revisit the question of packages & allow customers the choice of
      channels based around a 'family pack' that suits their own family because I have multiple
      channels that I & most other families never have & never will ever watch !!
      I would along with that idea like to be able to pick & mix some channels say for a season
      like F1 channel which is required for less then 6 mths : also to be able to take say just
      the football (lifelong West Ham fan) for the season , or maybe just the rugby : but not
      be forced to take the whole sports pack . I believe this would help rather than hinder
      Sky sales. Thats my idea but it wont happen because what would sky do with all those
      channels that nobody wants ???
      I live in Hope....
      Just a Thought.........

People always assume that smaller packs or even a la carte provide better value for consumers but in reality it would leave us worth off on two fronts.

The first being that it may seem like we are paying for lost of channels we don't watch but in reality these channels are subsidising each other. Sky have nearly 11mill subscribers to the base back but even the most popular of the channels in that pack would find it hard to get 2million who would subscribe to that channel but they get carriage fees for all 11mill. Many of the channels would be well below 250k subscribers. To make the same from either smaller packs or individual channels subscriptions the cost per channel is going to shoot up. A la carte almost certainly would need to be much higher, just look at the cost of the likes of MUTV which at that price would allow us to subscribe to 6 channels before we pay more than the top Sky pack.

The second thing being if channels income falls so does operating budgets. This means either either they have to cut back content signifcantly or close up shop. I don't see many of the niche channels surviving with so few people paying subs for the channel

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

There are a few things to consider with this new STB.

Firstly it should work just fine with a HD TV.

Other than BT's UHD channel, there has not been any mention of a UHD channel from Sky yet. Of course Sky could add Sky Sports 1 UHD and perhaps Sky Movies Premiere UHD to the list.

There has also been a lot of changes since Sky first launched with the use of Satellites. YouView uses the Internet to spread its content. There is nothing stopping Sky taking a similar approach.

Of course you will need a 4K UHD TV to benefit from any 4K channels. At present, just like when the Sky+ HD STB was introduced, not many people have a 4K UHD TV. The shops have a few, but generally the ain't cheap.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello Wakey
      As I stated at the end of my previous post : My idea while ideal for Me !! will never
      happen because I do not know anyone who would take the many channels that so
      many of us never watch : I would think that the amount of people who do watch
      these channels are miniscule so the advertising revenue wont be very high anyway
      I just think it would not hurt to offer ; one off channels like F1 & maybe just the rugby,
      football for the season only at a reasonable cost. !!!
      but as I said its just an idea.........
      Just a Thought........

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      YouView uses the Internet to spread its content. There is nothing stopping Sky taking a similar approach.
      Internet speeds?

Apparently BT won't even let you have their UHD box unless your line is capable of 44Mbps.*
      Streams may only need 30Mbps but if that's all you've got, you can't record another channel or do anything else really while watching a UHD programme.

So if sky can provide UHD content over satellite then that puts them way ahead of the competition & a must for many wanting to watch live events in 4k.

*I've read that customers on their 40/10 package will have the cap lifted for streaming via youview, so the 80/20 package isn't needed.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      So if sky can provide UHD content over satellite then that puts them way ahead of the competition & a must for many wanting to watch live events in 4k.
      I'm curious how... As for years people have said the satellites are saturated hence why other channels suffer.

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If this new Sky box can record more than two channels at once I'll be happy. But I don't see how it can unless the technology makes a massive jump. Also it will need to be able to stream Netflix/Amazon Prime but won't as it's the competition.

This is where for now Virgin Tivo beats Sky boxes.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast