Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree14Likes

New sky Q box

This is a discussion on New sky Q box within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; Originally Posted by Scubbie The Mini-WiFi adaptor DOES support the 5GHz band. I'm not sure about the DRX89xW/WL range, but ...

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New sky Q box

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The Mini-WiFi adaptor DOES support the 5GHz band. I'm not sure about the DRX89xW/WL range, but I wouldn't be too fast to rule it out.
      but again, what use is that if you use it with a Sky broadband router which doesn't support 5GHz WiFi and isn't dual band?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The Mini-WiFi adaptor DOES support the 5GHz band. I'm not sure about the DRX89xW/WL range, but I wouldn't be too fast to rule it out.
      Just switched my hub to 5GHz only. Connection to Nexus dropped but DRX890W connection remained solid with same IP address. I didn't see wi-fi LED go out either.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Wireless only would be very silly, even if it's AC & 5Ghz.

I want my ethernet!
      Expect as we have now, there will be both wireless only and ethernet enabled set top boxes.
      The current ones are 5ghz anyway.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello All
      I hope this new ' Q box ' has most if not all the gizmo's that we would like to see
      and it is not 'wireless' only but its way past the time for a 'new hub' as well .
      We should not allow BT to much advantage : or we will regret it.
      I am sure 'Scubbie' know's a little more than us Minions but is sworn to Secrecy .
      Also it would be nice to think that Sky could revisit the packages question.

Just a Thought............

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post

What would you suggest, splitting the family package into individual genres?

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Wireless only would be very silly)
      No, it wouldn't. It would be absolutely stupid.
      Meteosat and wizard200 like this.
      JPL

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      but again, what use is that if you use it with a Sky broadband router which doesn't support 5GHz WiFi and isn't dual band?
      Taken from the article:
      It will wirelessly beam content to smartphones and tablets around the home
      Now, if like what my Samsung TV can do, that implies that the STB itself broadcasts the WiFi signal, then it wouldn't matter what the router is or is not capable of doing. Of course we are talking about a journalist who has written the article, not someone who has intricate knowledge of technical jargon and how to correctly apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      I hope this new ' Q box ' has most if not all the gizmo's that we would like to see
      and it is not 'wireless' only but its way past the time for a 'new hub' as well .
      We should not allow BT to much advantage : or we will regret it.
      I am sure 'Scubbie' know's a little more than us Minions but is sworn to Secrecy .
      Over the last couple of years Sky have been busy developing avenues for their customers to feedback ideas on just what they would like to see in a Sky STB. I've seen good examples from around the world demonstrated and discussed in quite some detail in the areas I have access to. Just what will or will not be used in this new STB I couldn't say.

As for having an in depth knowledge of this new STB, very sadly I haven't seen one yet.

It was a shame that Sky amalgamated all their genre based packs into what we have today. A lot of us took advantage by adding a single pack to get the new package at a reduced rate at the time.

If I do learn anything, then I will share what I can as soon as it can be released. Unfortunately I've met a couple of people in the team and I do not see them letting anything out took soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello Seawright :
      I would like Sky to revisit the question of packages & allow customers the choice of
      channels based around a 'family pack' that suits their own family because I have multiple
      channels that I & most other families never have & never will ever watch !!
      I would along with that idea like to be able to pick & mix some channels say for a season
      like F1 channel which is required for less then 6 mths : also to be able to take say just
      the football (lifelong West Ham fan) for the season , or maybe just the rugby : but not
      be forced to take the whole sports pack . I believe this would help rather than hinder
      Sky sales. Thats my idea but it wont happen because what would sky do with all those
      channels that nobody wants ???
      I live in Hope....
      Just a Thought.........

seawright likes this.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Now, if like what my Samsung TV can do, that implies that the STB itself broadcasts the WiFi signal, then it wouldn't matter what the router is or is not capable of doing.
      Are you sure your TV broadcasts wifi? All the smart TVs I've seen use DLNA to act as a media server across the network they are connected to. So the network router is doing most of the work, it picks up the stream from the TV and sends it to the connected device. I can't see Sky putting wifi routers into their Sky+ boxes when they have the connectivity to the Sky Hub.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      Are you sure your TV broadcasts wifi? All the smart TVs I've seen use DLNA to act as a media server across the network they are connected to. So the network router is doing most of the work, it picks up the stream from the TV and sends it to the connected device. I can't see Sky putting wifi routers into their Sky+ boxes when they have the connectivity to the Sky Hub.
      There is a feature on the Samsung phones, tablets and TV called 'Screen Mirroring'. I was under the impression that it was the TV that broadcast the signal, but on checking it's the mobile that broadcasts the hotspot.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast