Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: When will Sky launch IPv6?

Voters
    17. You may not vote on this poll
    • July 2015

1 5.88%
    • August 2015

0 0%
    • September 2015

1 5.88%
    • October 2015

2 11.76%
    • November 2015

0 0%
    • December 2015

0 0%
    • 1st Quarter 2016

4 23.53%
    • 2nd Quarter 2016

0 0%
    • 3rd Quarter 2016 or later

0 0%
    • Don't care

9 52.94%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Launch of IPv6: When?

This is a discussion on Sky Launch of IPv6: When? within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; ipv6 will just lead to slew of security problems as gear is enabled then patched, not sure about it at ...

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: HUMAX
      Thanks

Re: Sky Launch of IPv6: When?

ipv6 will just lead to slew of security problems as gear is enabled then patched, not sure about it at all, but it's coming so thank gawd I have my own configurable router instead of the sr.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      ipv6 will just lead to slew of security problems as gear is enabled then patched, not sure about it at all, but it's coming so thank gawd I have my own configurable router instead of the sr.
      I'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

IPv6 has been in use for a few years already. Many other people out there will have already found such issues and they should have already been resolved.

Of course not everyone updates the firmwares on their devices. Other devices will no longer be supported and will be defunct.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: HUMAX
      Thanks

exactly my point, so many routers (especially small business) are well past eol as well as so many connected things. It would be nothing short of a miracle to make a seamless transition without problems cropping up. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks

Ok, whilst there are a whole raft of different routers out there, Sky are only going to be interested in their own customer base.

Most of Sky's customers use the Sky router that they were supplied. Since Sky doesn't provide a service intended for the business market, that'll be someone else's problem to resolve. I appreciate that many small businesses will have someone with limited knowledge when it comes to updating routers, but I would hope that they would be able to contact their ISP and some how manage to get it updated before IPv4 is switched off.

From what I understand there will be a period with Sky where people might have either IPv4 or IPv6 addresses. Since it is possible for Sky to identify which models are on which connection, anyone whom is using a router that is incompatible with IPv6 might be informed that something needs to be done.

Sky's practise with firmware updates has always been to roll out the update in a gradual manner. I would imagine that the same would be the case with the switch from IPv4 to IPv6.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: pfSense VM on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

The problem is of course that we spent many many years trying to shoehorn as much as we could into the IPv4 space with NAT, there just hasn't been the rush to IPv6 as was first envisaged when the protocol was designed back in... wait for it... 1991.

That was when the first realisation that we would one day completely exhaust the IPv4 pool would occur, and in the next few weeks it will be empty.

Should you care? As a consumer - probably not. Routers can handle NAT and they should also be able to tunnel IPv4 over the IPv6 internet so old devices shouldn't be left out in the cold anyways.

I would love to see IPv6 adopted more quickly - it is now the next big thing that needs to happen to the internet. The big problem of course when IPv4 blocks were handed out back in the beginning - they were handing out /8's and /16's to Universities willy nilly and there are vast amounts of addresses that are probably unused even today.

Wonder how it will affect those of us who have non-Sky routers? Though hopefully they are using standard methods to roll out addresses and we'll just pick it up as normal.

Source: I'm a CCIE
      Scubbie likes this.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Looks like BT are up to something too
      BT runs trial of IPv6 addressing system - BBC News

Thanks

Ok, this thread was created as a little bit of a laugh, but also to see what people actually thought with regards to when Sky would launch IPv6.

Date
      Voters Percentile
      Jul-15 1 5.88%
      Aug-15 0 0%
      Sep-15 1 5.88%
      Oct-15 2 11.76%
      Nov-15 0 0%
      Dec-15 0 0%
      1st Quarter 2016 4 23.53%
      2nd Quarter 2016 0 0%
      3rd Quarter 2016 or later 0 0%
      Don't care 9 52.94%
      Total voters 17

Ok, not a high turn out, but of those who voted I guess it shows that currently most people aren't interested in IPv6 or that they aren't worried about when Sky will switch across to it.

Of course we now have a new section on these forums where members can find out more. So please do pop in and take a look. This change just might be of interest to you.

IPv6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12