Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Sky accelerates new set-top box launch

This is a discussion on Sky accelerates new set-top box launch within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; There are quite a few who would argue that the quality of HD broadcasts has been steadily dropping already. Certainly ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky accelerates new set-top box launch

There are quite a few who would argue that the quality of HD broadcasts has been steadily dropping already.

Certainly the sound quality has dropped over the past 3 years.

At the same time we now has some 80 HD channels, including Sky 3D & a single Sky Box Office HD channel.

There are 4 additional HD channels showing on my TV Guide. /Sky Insider HD, BBC1 Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland HD.

This figure has steadily grown over the past few years. Last time I looked it was around 60, so 80 is impressive, but still not all of the available channels.

Of course you do need to subscribe to many of the channels. BT Sports 1 & 2 HD are just a couple that you need additional subscriptions for.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      snooker147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Thanks

Most HD are conned showing in 720P instead of 1080P. Not all of it. That's why I ditched HD. Not worth the extra money for it.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

The standard for hd content, shared by BBC, Sky, ITV, C4 and C5 is set out in the link below. That is the BBC doc.
      Good reading for all the uk standards used. Im not aware these have changed recently.
      No UK channel currently produces content in 720p, although across Europe it is an agreed/accepted format and thus broadcasting equipment is made capable of setting/displaying it, but its not used though as far as I am aware. All broadcasters worldwide broadcast in 1080i and not in 1080p.
      21st century fox owned networks, Disney owned networks and the mlb network in the US have preferred to use 720p. Not sure if this has changed as the rest of US networks now all use 1080i.
      The section on hd lays out the agreed hd specs;

All material delivered for UK HD TV transmission must be:
      - 1920 x 1080 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9
      - 25 frames per second (50 fields) interlaced - now known as 1080i/25.
      - colour sub sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2
      The HD format is fully specified in ITU-R BT.709-5 Part 2.
      One other important statement in the report around 720 format
      Non-HD material
      Material acquired using the following methods or formats is considered to be below the high definition standard and will therefore be treated as non-HD:
      - HDV from all manufactures
      - Most cameras with image sensors under ”
      - Frame based (intra-frame) recording formats below 100Mb/s
      - Inter-frame base d recording formats below 50Mb/s
      - Material generated or processed on 720 line equipment
      - Film not meeting the requirement for HD in section 2.8 below
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/p...dardsBBCv3.pdf
      Last edited by lettice; 19-03-15 at 12:31 PM.
      Isitme and Scubbie like this.

tytusgroan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: W/Bay
      Thanks

When I watch the German hd channels on 19e they have been miles better for years.Sky would never change unless there was a mass revolution,I don't see that happening anytime soon. Unfortunately the vast majority of Sky users don't notice any difference.

Thanks

It would be true to say that a lot of people wouldn't know that there is a difference between 720p and 1080i broadcasts.

This is for a number of reasons including "HD Ready" TVs that only support 720p, lack of comparative knowledge & poor set up.

Whilst 4K & 8K TVs are amazing to view, they do require the different production companies to invest in some very expensive equipment.

There was a sea of change when HD content started to be recorded. In the past companies could get away with the cameras being a little out of focus, now focus is so much more important. Make-up, sets, clothing/costumes, lighting, editing suites and some much more had to be improved when the various broadcasters switched over to HD.

Many local regions still have to make the switch to HD. For most, if not all, the local BBC Regional networks, they already have 1080p cameras. They happen to be switched down to 576p as most of their editing suites & broadcast systems are not ready for 1080p broadcasts. Of course Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland each has their local content available in 1080i now, so they have all the required kit up and running. It is the English regions that only have half the job done.

Moving up to 4K UHD TV would be great. Sure initially only a minority of people would be able to benefit, but this was true only a short while ago for HD too.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

There is an updated version to the document that I posted above, it adds BT sport and TG4 to the UK broadcasters and also UHD 4K.
      http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/w....3-generic.pdf

SD is recorded with a picture area of 702 x 576 pixels, now known as legacy SD in the industry.
      There are some strict rules governing upscaling around the sd format too and a lot more as it has some history

Yes, many of the regions, studios, equipment and back end are not yet ready for HD. That is not to say they do not use HD equipment or supply content in HD for global news or non regional programmes.
      They are just not setup to broadcast and/or edit on a large scale I'm assuming for all content and live programming currently.
      Then of course is the BBC having the funds or justification to then duplicate all the current SD regions in HD across all the platfroms. Not seeing that happening anytime soon...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      This is for a number of reasons including "HD Ready" TVs that only support 720p, lack of comparative knowledge & poor set up.
      For a TV to achieve "HD ready" status, it must comply with several standards.
      One of those standards is that it must accept & display both 720p and 1080i footage.

"HD ready TV's that only support 720p" do not exist.

Thanks

I'm sorry gymno, I don't know where you are getting your information from but I've seen a lot of TVs being sold with the label "HD Ready" when they were only capable of displaying up to 720p.

Now of course they might be able to connect to something that could produce 1080i or 1080p images, but they were most definitely limited to 720p. Just to illustrate the point, below is one TV that came up on a search in Amazon:

SEIKI 39-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview: Amazon.co.uk: TV
      Product Description

Upgrade your TV with the brilliant Seiki 39-inch class 720p LED HDTV featuring a built. The popular Seiki model features 1,366 x 768 HD resolution with 60 Hz refresh rate to offer top picture quality and performance
      Ok this one works at up to 768 lines, but this is short of 1080 that is required for the full 1080p.

Another example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaupunkt-32...ds=hd+ready+tv
      HD Ready 720p

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes that's what i was saying.

"HD ready" means that it must, among other things, be able to accept 720p & 1080i signals.
      If a set can display 1080p it won't be badged as HD ready but full HD, tru HD, 1080p HD etc instead.

I guess i misinterpreted your comment:
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      It would be true to say that a lot of people wouldn't know that there is a difference between 720p and 1080i broadcasts.

Because they support 1080i signals too, it's just that they don't display the full 1920 X 1080 resolution.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have always taken the term "HD Ready TV" to mean that there isn't a HD tuner so that extra equipment is required to display programmes in HD.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast