Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Sky accelerates new set-top box launch

This is a discussion on Sky accelerates new set-top box launch within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; I can't get over how in 2015 and so many are still on SD. What irks me the most is ...

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Re: Sky accelerates new set-top box launch

I can't get over how in 2015 and so many are still on SD. What irks me the most is how most of the 5xx News Channels are SD. Apart from Sky News, NHK and RT.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      I can't get over how in 2015 and so many are still on SD. What irks me the most is how most of the 5xx News Channels are SD. Apart from Sky News, NHK and RT.
      Don't forget the BBC.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The simple truth is it comes down to money and storage space.

For the broadcasters SD takes less bandwidth, so costs less. However if you were to consider that currently they are broadcasting in both HD & SD in many cases, where is the money savings for those channels?

As for the viewers, storage space on a PVR hard drive is limited. Whether its 250GB or 1TB, you can get more recordings from an SD channel than a HD channel. If you are worried about running out of space, then it makes sense to record the SD channel instead.

We've previously had discussions on this forum about whether or not people could notice the difference between SD & HD. Sure there is a difference, but if your TV is small or you have poor eyesight, then then is very little difference.

We also get conned. Several of the series that we get are actually not recorded in 1080p, but are instead recorded in 720p. This means that many of the series shown across the different channels are not as clear as perhaps they could be.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

What is the percentage of Sky viewers that have an HD subscription? It would be interesting to know.

And isn't it about time to rename the channels, e.g. Sky 1 & Sky 1 SD, rather than Sky1 HD & Sky 1?
      seawright likes this.
      JPL

Thanks

From memory the answer to your question was included in the results published by Sky last Autumn. Unfortunately the results posts at the end of January didn't include the figures.

I think that it was around 2 million, out of 10.5 million Sky TV customers, but would need to look at the results.

Of course the figures are increasing all the time, but I guess whilst there is a premium to pay that little extra, many people would rather put up with an SD picture.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If HD becomes the norm. There should be the option to record in SD so as to save disk space. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement this on the fly as boxes already have the ability to down scale programmes for display using scart and RF2/IO adaptor.
      I know that some of the older boxes are struggling at the limit of their processing power, in this case an archive function would be useful where recordings could be repacked at lower resolution to free up disk space.

Thanks

Certainly I'm in favour of all the broadcasters agreeing to phase out SD broadcasts.

This could be achieved over say a 5 or 10 year period, with the cessation of sales of STBs that solely support SD Freeview and Freesat, along with an agreement that all new TVs sold from say 1st January 2016 having a HD tuner. 2017 might be a more realistic date though.

Too many TVs are still sold with only SD tuners and too many STBs are still being made with only SD tuners too.

Yes it is possible to provide a down-scaled picture for an SD TV. This can be passed out via Scart, AV leads or a HDMI connector. I suspect that there is circuitry involved in this de-scaling though, so a software modification would be required if someone wanted to record in SD to pack in more recordings.

Of course Freeview would suffer a little too. With only a limited number of available channels to broadcast for each transmitter, there is only so much each transponder can pack in. This would limit the potential number of channels that could be broadcast if they were all HD.

Some might argue that with services such as IPTV, that Freeview is likely to be something of the past in say 30 or 40 years. I remain to be convinced of this though. However I was under the impression that it should be cheaper to broadcast via IPTV. I might be wrong on this. I would be concerned about the possible interference to other Internet users on the same connection too.

vfx
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The simple truth is it comes down to money and storage space.

For the broadcasters SD takes less bandwidth, so costs less. However if you were to consider that currently they are broadcasting in both HD & SD in many cases, where is the money savings for those channels?

As for the viewers, storage space on a PVR hard drive is limited. Whether its 250GB or 1TB, you can get more recordings from an SD channel than a HD channel. If you are worried about running out of space, then it makes sense to record the SD channel instead.

We've previously had discussions on this forum about whether or not people could notice the difference between SD & HD. Sure there is a difference, but if your TV is small or you have poor eyesight, then then is very little difference.

We also get conned. Several of the series that we get are actually not recorded in 1080p, but are instead recorded in 720p. This means that many of the series shown across the different channels are not as clear as perhaps they could be.
      What I find strangely funny with this is, it then completely throws out any justifiable arguments for 4K.

Also, what is the reason Sky wont give us Fox News HD? Yet Sky can give us live footage from Fox News HD whenever something major is on… Hours discussing and viewing elections or speeches in America.

It bugs me how they can broadcast it in HD yet we're stuck with pathetic SD on 509.

Thanks

Sure 4K is a little beyond my means at the moment, although there is always the Lottery, but for those who can afford it $K UHD TV is better.

By clearing SD off the airwaves, there would be a little more enticement for 4K.

Of course I suspect that 4K will either be delivered via an IPTV system or Satellite. I can't see Freeview having the spare bandwidth at this stage.

vfx
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I mean on Sky's part for 4k. 1080 isn't exactly stellar on Sky as it is. There are some but too few.

Even if one goes 4k, it'll be years before broadcast catches up. Plus by the time that happens, the early adopters 4k TV's will be the wrong spec. (That is their problem though.) I remember getting Sky HD in August 08. No On Demand back then either. Can't remember the name it used to go under… Ah… Anytime. Very few HD channels though. It took so many years until 2011/12 where you started getting lots of HD channels.

My big fear with Sky when they push 4k, will they butcher 1080 more severely like the days of SD where lots of macro blocking kicked in on sports that the picture broke up and became fuzzy on motion. Even Sky News HD is getting softer and softer as each month passes as it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast