Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Free HD Subs For Some Customers With More Than One HD Box And No HD Subscription?

This is a discussion on Free HD Subs For Some Customers With More Than One HD Box And No HD Subscription? within the Sky Rumour Mill forums, part of the Sky news and announcements category; i don't know if this is linked or not, but my uncle who has 1 sky+hd box and no multiroom ...

imdag2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Free HD Subs For Some Customers With More Than One HD Box And No HD Subscription?

i don't know if this is linked or not, but my uncle who has 1 sky+hd box and no multiroom suddenly got free hd channels added to his account, he checked his bill and it says entertainment extra hd, but at the price i am paying for jus the tv.

also, he did not even contact sky to ask for hd, this was added onto his account over night.

FTTC Connection: download:40,000. upload:10,000. 5ms ping
      ADSL Speed:
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1087 kbps 16db 7db attenuation7db 7db noise
      Download: 15351 Kbit/s
      Upload : 957 kbit/s
      Connects : 2891 conn/min Ping: 19 ms

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Free HD Subs For Some Customers With More Than One HD Box And No HD Subscription?

It certainly does look like free HD for everyone eventually.

I bet Sky say something on the next results statement.
      speedyrite and Angel_Rex like this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Jaycee Dove is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergele
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So as someone who has had TWO HD subs since 2006 (until the second one was dropped a couple of years ago) and have paid 600 to buy those two HD boxes (now with much smaller hdds in them than those who get Sky today for nothing) this idea reads like long term loyal customers being used to let Sky subsidise those seemingly unwilling to pay for HD? I do hope the media get wind of this move because as it stands it comes across as rather condescending to Sky's longest serving most loyal customers - if true. I would have thought the fairest thing to do was give free HD to those who paid for it forever thus ensuring it did not die a death and become an expensive turkey for Sky six years ago.
      Last edited by Jaycee Dove; 01-12-12 at 09:01 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I think that there would be a huge number of people who would agree that it would be nice to have the HD Subs dropped.

It would most certainly encourage a larger number of those who have the Sky+ STB to upgrade their boxes as I am sure that the HD subs are frightening some of them.

It is always important to remember though that Sky uses the offers to capture people onto their products. The majority of us would have signed up with one deal or another.

As for getting a Sky+ HD STB now though, there are some good bargains for those willing to get a 2nd hand STB from the shops or on-line right now. I have seen a DRX890 for 24. A friend has seen them selling for 15. A few months ago I was seeing them for 40-50.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Mine is free HD sub for 12 months

sigonuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crofton
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2850VN
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile Re: Free HD Subs For Some Customers With More Than One HD Box And No HD Subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      I hope so. Free HD for certain upgraders but not existing customers with the same package would be indefensible.

In my experience the HD picture quality on the TiVo is very poor compared to Sky, I'm not surprised they offer it for free!
      It would be so easy to make Sky drop the fee for HD but people tend not to think about it. I cancelled my HD subscription and instantly save 10.25 per month but still receive the majority of the HD channels that I watch (BBC/ITV etc). If everyone drops their HD subscription then as someone said in another discussion.. "Sky would loose 10 revenue x 5 million customers per month.". Lets face it.. there aren't any TV programmes or movies made in SD so why should HD come at a premium (well it shouldn't as its is now standard). CANCEL YOUR HD SUBSCRIPTION AND FORCE THE ISSUE, EASY AS THAT. I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT SKY WON'T DROP HD.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

CANCEL YOUR HD SUBSCRIPTION AND FORCE THE ISSUE, EASY AS THAT. I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT SKY WON'T DROP HD.
      I don't know about that, remember we used to pay for Sky+ functions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I cancelled my HD, its still cancelled - I got no offers for anything etc.

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Mine is free HD for 12 months (still got 7 months left remaining)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      Mine is free HD for 12 months (still got 7 months left remaining)
      Don't worry about it.

Sky are constantly "juking the stats" (a la The Wire) just like this

I think there's either a big 'share-save' sell off or a big director is selling their shares/leaving Sky in June as lots of cancels are being delayed to the next financial year!!!
      Why else would the company be giving free offer extensions to customers on a variety of offers to periods after the 1st July???

I think Sky's share price will be in trouble if they report a decline in customer numbers, but going on personal experience (and the above report) that is inevitable (unless they carry on giving dis-loyal customers FREE subscriptions for 4-6 months).
      Last edited by bubblegun; 05-05-13 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Maliciousness???

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast