Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ROUTER NIGHTMARE! pls help!

This is a discussion on ROUTER NIGHTMARE! pls help! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, new to this website but looks like just what i have been trawling the net for! Moved house ...

dontuforgetthis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ROUTER NIGHTMARE! pls help!

Hi guys, new to this website but looks like just what i have been trawling the net for! Moved house a couple of months ago, took on Sky + and Sky BB also. Initial installation was sticky as i had to find the Vista drivers for my wireless adapter but eventually set it up however i could not pick up my router even though i could pick up several other routers around my area including other sky ones!!!! Rang Sky and after lots of tests etc. turned out my router was faulty so they sent me a replacement.
      This worked ok to begin with but then dropped its wireless signal a few times before finally dying completely after only 5 days!!! AGAIN rang Sky and again im being sent a new one!! If and when this one turns up, should i be setting it up a certain way and if this one keeps losing its wireless signal, can i use a different router?? I dont mind spending money on a good router but i just want my internet up and running!! any suggestions would be much appreciated!?!?

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ROUTER NIGHTMARE! pls help!

Take a look at this post if you are considering setting up your own, non-sky, router to run with sky.

Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

HTH
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried the usual turning uPNP off changing channel etc?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, havnt recieved the latest router yet so havnt tried the UpNp thing yet, does that work? HAve changed channels which helped, should i be on a sepparate one to other routers in the area?
      Are your sky routers working well with wireless connections or have you changed router? sound like lots of people are having problems with sky's routers!!!

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1. Disabling upnp is a good idea if you don't need it, even if you don't have any problems.

2. Changing channels - it can certainly help but is a bit hit-and-miss. Yes, try to avoid the channels that others are on.

3. Re lots of people having problems, yes that's true, but bear in mind that all the people in the doctor's waiting room are ill, but it doesn't mean the whole population is ill.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice one! So the uPNP thing is a cause of loss of connection? Would you suggest changing to a non sky router more more stability?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, pnp can be a cause of connection loss.

No, I'd suggest sticking with the Sky router unless you've a technical requirement that the Sky one doesn't support (such as acting as a VPN endpoint or WPA2). Sadly, I see many BB users that, on encountering their first problem, try to use a different router and run into other problems doing that (along with the fact that it's against Sky's terms and conditions)! Just don't be put off by the scaremongerers that say that the router is intrinsically pants. (That said, the power supply is intrinsically pants, but that's another story...)
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is the power supply a problem then?

I'll stick with the new router...when it finally arrives....and hopefully it will work ok, i mean what are the chances of having two faulty routers in a row!!!!!??

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IMHO, and there have been those that disagree, the power supply is awful. It is unregulated and not under load, it give a potential of about 14 to 17V. For a 12V PSU, that's pretty poor (and adds to heat, which adds to instability). OK, I haven't checked under load, but given the wide range of outputs, they can't all provide 12V!

Bottom line: When I put on a 12V regulated PSU (from Maplins) many of my problems went away. YMMV. Also, keep the router on its side if possible: the heat dissipation is much better. That plastic stand thing which I reckon most people throw away really can make things more stable as quite a few BB users have testisfied to.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

will do! cheers man, i appreciate the help, as i said, im hoping when the new one turns up i will plug it in, my adapter will find it and ill be up and running with no dropped connection!!
      Gunna change the uPNP and stand it up on its side, any other things i could do to make it work to its full potential!?!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast