Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky router and digisender

This is a discussion on sky router and digisender within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi - Does anyone know how to get the sky router and digisender to live in harmony? We never had ...

mstapleton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01246
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky router and digisender

Hi - Does anyone know how to get the sky router and digisender to live in harmony? We never had a problem with our other netgear router only now we've switched to sky broadband. It worked when I changed channel from 1 to 11 but then stopped again. Can't live without either of them so would really appreciate a solution.Thanks

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sky router and digisender

Some digisenders have a switch to change the frequency they operate at. If you have the manuals and compare the specs of your wireless network adapter and the digisender, you may be able to find frequencies which are far enough apart to avoid interference.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - the digisender has four channels but only seems to work perfectly on 1 (we have quite a few wireless things which probably interfere) but everything worked great with our other netgear router which was on channel 11.
      I thought the sky router would be exactly the same but not so.I will have to go through all the channels one by one and hopefully find one that works.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you could try making one of these for your digi sender (one on each end). Bit blue peter but it does a nice job of boosting the gain and directionalising the signal.

Ez-12
      Last edited by armitasp; 07-03-07 at 12:21 AM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

While you're at it, switch off UPnP in the Sky router -- that solved my wireless problems.

I think there is a feeling that the Sky unit is a bit weak on wireless -- but I don't find any different to earlier Netgear boxes.

You mention lots of othe wireless stuff -- while setting up, it's best to switch them off and then find the culprit by turning one on and then another. Sometimes the problem is that a wireless sourse is too near the computer, sometimes too near the router. It's usually a bit hit and miss.

Re:armitasp's suggestion of a new aerial -- there are manufactured hi-gain units which fit Netgear routers (like the Sky one, presumably).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: sky router and digisender

Just thought I'd follow up that eveything is running perfectly again now. I think I had the router too near the telephone base station.Moved things around a bit and all is fine. I didnt realise how much difference the location of the router would affect the performance. So please be aware!