Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Favour gone sour with Vista

This is a discussion on Favour gone sour with Vista within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys I agreed to help out a friend and install his rboadband for him - why oh why?! He's ...

jpo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Favour gone sour with Vista

Hi Guys

I agreed to help out a friend and install his rboadband for him - why oh why?!

He's just had a brand spankin Dell PC, high spec beast with Win Vista Business.

I have not used vista before so called Sky tech support and they said it did work, couple of bugs, disable AV whilst installing and don't use the install disk.

Okay no problem - what do I need the software for anyway, waste of time.

I get into the config of the box and ther appears to be nowhere to enter the username and password for the account like I would expect.

I am by the way at this point connected to the netgear router via ethernet cable, have filters on all phone sockets (main socket downstairs, socket upstairs (same number) and extension cable.) Modem line plugged into filter and power up.

Internet light is not on but ethernet, power and wireless are.

So i call support and they tell me I don't need to enter a username and password anywhere, it will should just work.

I see on this forum many people are happily using vista and sky so anyone got any ideas how to get this working?

I have tried disabling firewall as well as this AV. Activation date was 20th of feb and Sky have confirmed it is working.

The guy on the phone really tried his best but didn't really know where to go with it as he was not confident (like me) with the new windows O/S.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is turning out to be yet another favour that I regret agreeing too!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Re: Favour gone sour with Vista

The user name and password are hidden within the firmware of the router so Sky are right it should just work! If your internet light isn't on sounds like the line hasn't been activated, the router should connect and sync with the exchange and internet light come on even without a computer connected!