Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

DG834GT Mac Spoofing

This is a discussion on DG834GT Mac Spoofing within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Welcome to the site dingdong I have a funny feeling that nobody would be able to flash the firmware I ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site dingdong

I have a funny feeling that nobody would be able to flash the firmware I am only guessing but on the router there is a SKY button and I assume thats for updating the firmware as I can see no other reason for it.

I am guessing since they have locked out telnet they would have considered the flashing as being a possible problem for that as well and done something to stop it.

Also noticed that the Sky firmware is V1.02.28 and on the Netgear site its V1.02.04.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      pskinteh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down flashing router does not work

The sky router does accept any of the dg834gt firmware on netgear site.
      all versions tried, old & new firmware, even the german version dont work.
      WGT624 firmware dont work. ( looked similar)
      DG834pn """""""""""""""""""
      Last edited by pskinteh; 06-09-06 at 08:13 PM. Reason: share knowledge

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site pskinteh

I am guessing you are a SkyBB customer you have already tried this in which case thanks for the heads up
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      personnally i cannot see why we need to use another modem / router.

If people want broadband with all the thrills why go with the cheap alternative?

The router is capable of doing everything i need to with, and more. Looks nice, apart from the white shows up dust etc.

Wireless from a laptop and 2x other pc's works fine - no probs.

At the end of the day Sky have probably spent loads of time and investment into researching this particular model, and made it so it is uncrackable re the firmware. Good on them.

With one type of router, once Sky staff get there stories and coordination together, along with their support knowledge, then one router should fit all.

Now if we could just get their one router, most peeps would be happy.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 06-09-06 at 08:23 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi pskinteh - does this mean you have successfully flashed the sky router with one of the netgear versions? If so that is good news - and if you did are you also able to connect to sky using it?

As far as the comment above goes - yes i see your reason - if all works well with your connection - but some users who have problem connections or poor speeds can tune the router which they would not have been able to do with the sky version.

One other thing i find a bit disconcerting about this is, it has already been shown that a mac address can easily be spoofed (even using the sky router as is), mac addresses are usally sequential from a supplier so there is a good cahnce that + or - 1 from my own is in use with sky. So if authentication is done solely on mac address, i can just spoof a connection to some one elses account - which would lock them out - and then i could use their download allocation.
      Last edited by dingdong; 06-09-06 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Gotta agree with your reasoning as well.

However, most people who are internet savvy, can flash and upgrade their firmware etc would never ever phone Sky. As they already know what to do etc to tweak. I would hazard a guess and say that would be less than 10% of Sky broadbands customer base tho

If people can crack it (which will happen i bet) fine, but what about the silver haired surfers, who just want their internet to work, thats where i am coming from

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

markbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey LVWAL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Hi everyone, just twiddling my thumbs until BT get around to activating my line. Sky says today, BT checker says today, lack of connection says otherwise.....

One reason I'd like the chance to use another router is so I'd have a spare. As it is I'd be back to dialup if smoke starts coming out the back while Sky get round to sending another one out.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @NewsreadeR
      I agree I really think that most users couldn't care less one way or the other and the ones that do are more interested in being able to telnet into it so they can tweak the thing.
      Ray

click here

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi markbloke

fair point as well, i would like to think though once they sorted their despatching problems out tho it would be next day (but then we can dream)

on the other side of the arguement tho, would i like to have 3.0km of cable spare, just in case the bt line broke?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 06-09-06 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @ Wheelie - as long as the router worked of course :-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast