Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Could my router be faulty ?

This is a discussion on Could my router be faulty ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Just got my new sky connect package 2 days ago.Im very impressed with the eathanet connection ( netgear ...

shakie1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could my router be faulty ?

Hi all,

Just got my new sky connect package 2 days ago.Im very impressed with the eathanet connection ( netgear page says speeds of about 7meg)but the wireless connection is pathetic............cant even load a page.
      I've tried moving the router (even though its only about 15ft away)
      Had a repair shop do a wireless test on my new laptop with their equipment and they said it was fine.Tried all the settings sky have inputted and still no joy.Even tried a friends wireless card adaptor.......and thats just the same.
      So i spoke to sky today and demanded another router.Do you guys think this could be the problem? as i cant think of anything else to try.

cheers

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Could my router be faulty ?

You could try changing the wireless channel?

You could try just changing the channel one at a time and testing each or if you want a "scientific" approach try NetStumbler Downloads | NetStumbler.com which will tell you of any other wireless signals in the vicinity and what channels they are on.

(The only reason you'd need to change the channel is if there is another wireless network nearby on the same (or overlapping) channel which may be interferring with yours.)

Note the best channels to use are 1, 6 and 11 as any other channel overlaps with one of those. But it won't do any harm to try them all...
      Last edited by stevelaw; 16-02-07 at 02:37 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HURRAY,

Thank you my friend.............you have done in 2 mins what sky havent in 2 days.Changed my channel and its made the world of differance ( i can actually surf now lol)
      I just done a speed test on line(netgear say im getting about 7 meg)I realise when u test online you loose some but im still well chuffed.Getting about 5 meg with the eathernet and about 4 wireless......that i'll do me.

Thanks again mate...............im all smiles now

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool. I was skeptical that this would make much difference, but its definately in my first line of Things To Try now

Glad it worked out so easily (out of interest what channel did you change from and to?)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just picked one at random.......no8. And honest you have no idea how much differance its made.I simply could not load a page before they would time out before the page was up.Now its straight up( cant even notice the differance between wireless and wired now.Out of interest will i have 2 keep changing the channel or now im on it will it stay the way it is?

Seen as your the guy in the know lol..............how do i go about changing m port settings for bittorrent.Keep it simple im a noob lol.

Suppose i best ring sky back now and appologise for blasting the girl on the phone ...........oh and tell them i'll stick with the router i got.

cheers

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shakie1973 View Post
      Just picked one at random.......no8. And honest you have no idea how much differance its made.I simply could not load a page before they would time out before the page was up.Now its straight up( cant even notice the differance between wireless and wired now.Out of interest will i have 2 keep changing the channel or now im on it will it stay the way it is?
      It should remember the channel.

Seen as your the guy in the know lol..............how do i go about changing m port settings for bittorrent.Keep it simple im a noob lol.
      I'm not that much in the know, I'm only new to Sky (and SkyUser)

But what is it you want to do exactly? Open/forward the port in the router?

Suppose i best ring sky back now and appologise for blasting the girl on the phone ...........oh and tell them i'll stick with the router i got.
      That's a nice thought.
      Last edited by stevelaw; 16-02-07 at 03:01 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks