Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I sell my Sky Router?

This is a discussion on Can I sell my Sky Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Strange title but during my 'initiation' Sky sent me a replacement router as it was suspected that it was faulty. ...

Grid66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I sell my Sky Router?

Strange title but during my 'initiation' Sky sent me a replacement router as it was suspected that it was faulty. Eventually it turned out that the router was not faulty, and I still have it, and my connection is up and running on the new router.

A friend has now offered to purchasethe router. I intend to flash the router to it's original Netgear configuration (hopefully). Now according to the latest T & C I received from Sky this week, the router becomes my property once installed (which it originally was). Just wondering if this will come back to bite me on the behind if I flog the spare ....Your thoughts.

2. Advertisement
      tomd84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: I bet you would like to know!
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can I sell my Sky Router?

Your not technically allowed to sell it, its breaking the toc and the mac address is registerd to your sky account so it could be traced back to you, there has also been reports of them being took off ebay
      Last edited by LNB; 13-02-07 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the previous post - it upsets Wheelie!

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Grid66 View Post
      Strange title but during my 'initiation' Sky sent me a replacement router as it was suspected that it was faulty. Eventually it turned out that the router was not faulty, and I still have it, and my connection is up and running on the new router.

A friend has now offered to purchasethe router. I intend to flash the router to it's original Netgear configuration (hopefully). Now according to the latest T & C I received from Sky this week, the router becomes my property once installed (which it originally was). Just wondering if this will come back to bite me on the behind if I flog the spare ....Your thoughts.
      You don't own that router, you own one router, which sky have replaced due to believing it to be faulty. I'd assume that sky can therefore claim ownership of the original router ( I believe they also make available to you a free method to return the router to them)

Also, selling the router is an extremely bad idea, whether it be flashed with the retail firmware or not, anyone could restore the sky firmware to the router, extract its username and password (which may still be tied to your account on sky's systems) then proceed to use those details to log into sky rather than use their own.... any abuse would therefore point to you.

british-bulldog is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: woolwich
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ive got an AOL router in box never been used mmmmm i wonder

tomd84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: I bet you would like to know!
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by british-bulldog View Post
      Ive got an AOL router in box never been used mmmmm i wonder
      from when i installed aol for someone, the aol router didnt look like it was branded like the sky one, just looked like a plane netgear!

british-bulldog is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: woolwich
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It isnt branded nice and plain for ebay

Grid66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomd84 View Post
      Your not technically allowed to sell it, its breaking the toc and the mac address is registerd to your sky account so it could be traced back to you, there has also been reports of them being took off ebay
      As mentioned in my original thread, the T & C now specifies that teh router is my property once installed, only the software belongs to sky. Presumably the MAC address of the new router is registered against my account.

Quote Originally Posted by jb51053 View Post
      You don't own that router, you own one router, which sky have replaced due to believing it to be faulty. I'd assume that sky can therefore claim ownership of the original router ( I believe they also make available to you a free method to return the router to them)
      Indeed they did, and at the time when I asked Tech Support about returning the router, I was told "Don't Bother".

But, if as mentioned elsewhere in the thread that the Sky account details are still recoverable from the flashed router then I'll hang onto it.

Thanks for the replies.
      Last edited by Grid66; 13-02-07 at 11:15 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would grid, the last thing you want is someone downloading any potential nasty stuff and you been responsible, not that your mate would, but he could sell it on etc.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Best just to keep hold of it - that way if the one ur using packs in youv got a spare u can use straight away, i've kept mine just in case. Its not worth the potential hassle for the 20 ish you might get for it - imho
      dave