Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Whole list of problems

This is a discussion on Whole list of problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, i have had sky broad band for two weeks, it has never worked for more than 2 minutes on ...

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whole list of problems

Ok, i have had sky broad band for two weeks, it has never worked for more than 2 minutes on one pc and i am very close to giving up and going elsewhere.

I have one pc, one laptop.

both have Netgear WG111T 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapters.

The laptop when placed less than 3 metres from the router will pick up the router, but when viewing the router through the usb adapters software, i can litterally see it connect for two seconds, then disconnect and the adapter starts scanning for a network again.

The two lights (the ones that are not the power light) on the router blink and flicker constantly (not a steady blink, just a flickering) and the laptop will not stay connected.

The laptop will work though when hard wired into the router.

My pc is upstairs and cannot even find the router at all when scanning for networks, and it has no network card, so i cant plug my pc into the router like sky helpline suggest.

What am i doing wrong. One person on the helpline said my router was faulty, and they would send me a new one. Next day i get an answer phone message from someone i have never spoken to before saying "it sounds like its your usb adapter thats the problem not our router so we wont be sending a router".

since then nothing. i used to have wanadoo broadband with their wireless box and this worked all over the house (on my pc and laptop) and in the garden. This router wont work if you are 3 metres away.

Any suggestions before i cancel my broadband?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

whole list of problems

Ok, i have had sky broad band for two weeks, it has never worked for more than 2 minutes on one pc and i am very close to giving up and going elsewhere.

I have one pc, one laptop.

both have Netgear WG111T 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapters.

The laptop when placed less than 3 metres from the router will pick up the router, but when viewing the router through the usb adapters software, i can litterally see it connect for two seconds, then disconnect and the adapter starts scanning for a network again.

The two lights (the ones that are not the power light) on the router blink and flicker constantly (not a steady blink, just a flickering) and the laptop will not stay connected.

The laptop will work though when hard wired into the router.

My pc is upstairs and cannot even find the router at all when scanning for networks, and it has no network card, so i cant plug my pc into the router like sky helpline suggest.

What am i doing wrong. One person on the helpline said my router was faulty, and they would send me a new one. Next day i get an answer phone message from someone i have never spoken to before saying "it sounds like its your usb adapter thats the problem not our router so we wont be sending a router".

since then nothing. i used to have wanadoo broadband with their wireless box and this worked all over the house (on my pc and laptop) and in the garden. This router wont work if you are 3 metres away.

Any suggestions before i cancel my broadband?

ps: i posted this in the router section, but dont know whether it would be better in here. I have printed off the acrobat guide and will try and set the router up tonight using this. will these settings only apply to the pc i use to set them up on though, as my pc has no hardwiring ethernet port, so i can only access my router through the laptop.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Whole list of problems

Merged both threads, please do not cross post thanks

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry, just wasnt sure where would be best to post.

I wanted the fastest possible answer as if i cannot get it sorted by the weekend i will be cancelling the broadband and using a different supplier. I would rather pay 20 a month for a service that works than 5 a month for nothing at all

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried turning uPNP off in the router menu and the other suggestions on here for wireless issues?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

turning uPNP off is on my list of things to do when i get in. having no internet at home makes it hard to research lol.

Hopefully that will help with the laptop at least. and presumably even though i am using the laptop to alter the settings, i am changing the router settings which will apply to my pc too?

how on earth would i manage if i only had a pc with usb adapter!

I cannot see the uPNP mod helping my pc either, as this simply doesnt find the router. realistically the pc needs the internet more than the laptop so if a pc in a different room cant pick up the signal the sky package is not for me

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok, last night, i did the whole pdf file of actions and turned off uPNP. as long as i am sat within one metre of the router its not too bad, any further away and you can litterally see the usb adapter on full signal, then nothing and its scanning again, then a bit later full signal.

also, can anyone confirm if their connection light and line light (the two lights to the left of the number "1") actually flicker all the time, as mine constantly flicker and blink and i think this is why we cant stay connected wirelessly.

hard wired in its fine

i have given up trying to get help from sky on the phone, as despite having tested 3 different usb wireless adapters (including a brand new netgear one) they wont replace my router so i am going to cancel and switch to someone else.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

This package is that cheap it is probably worth the effort trying to get it sorted, I think if it was me I would ring Sky over the weekend and tell them you have lost your wireless signal all together now, go through all the checks with them and everytime they ask you about the signal tell them no there is no signal at all, they will probably then send you a new router, I know its a bit under handed but if its the only way you can get it resolved !!!
      I work for an IT company and I used to do that with one of our printer suppliers who used to insist on going through half a million checks on the phone b4 sending out a replacement printer. "It's duff we know that just send a new one!" I dealt with quite a few of these printers and in the end I got that fed I used to tell them there was a big puff of smoke and now its dead no power no lights nothing so I cant do any checks!!! They always then sent a replacement.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh and also tell them your mate came round with his laptop and he cant get any signal either and his laptop works fine on his Sky at home!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

good point. worth a try i suppose. i am so fed up with it though that i would rather pay 20 pound a month for something that works!

i will give them a ring and say the above and see.

a week or so ago we went through all the checks on the phone. the woman said "sounds like your router, i will send a new one out" then next day a message saying "think it could be your adapters, no router for you". terrible service so far.

To this date i have not received a letter saying my broadband is on either, and thats a month since i got the router so for the first week we didnt use it as we were waiting for the letter!