Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection issues

This is a discussion on Wireless connection issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, so far I've had a good experience with Sky BB , got the Router fairly quickly after signing ...

boots is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headingley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless connection issues

Hi all,

so far I've had a good experience with Sky BB, got the Router fairly quickly after signing on and was switched on not long after. Setup was very simple and was online in no time, so been online for a total of 2 days. Saw the Wireless Security doc in the Tutorial section and thought I'd give it a go.

That's where I ran into some problems last night and am unable to connect to the router.

Logged into the router via http://192.168.0.1 and was accessing the Wireless Settings, these are the changes I made,

Mode : from 54mbps to Auto 108Mbps
      Allow SSID Broadcast : checked to unchecked
      Turn Access Control On : checked (can't remember the state to begin with) and hit apply on the page.
      Security Options : It was set to WEP and I changed it to WPA-PSK, and this is where my connection dropped and trying to refresh the page brought a page not found error.

After this just simple could not connect, my laptop could see the router and was showing up in the list of available connections and I could see mine, when trying to connect, it asked for my Network Key which I enter , it tries to connect and then nothing.

So I basically can't access the Wireless settings through the admin screens, wasn't aware there was a "reset defaults" button on the router (just read on some other threads, will try this) , also some advice states to reboot the router everyday for the first 10 days.

Not sure what I've done to the router for this to happen, hoping someone can help before I go to Sky for help.

Cheers.
      Last edited by boots; 31-01-07 at 10:37 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection issues

If you want to clear your changes you can reset router settings to factory default by pressing and holding the rest button on the back of the router in the little pin hold, use a pen or something.
      Did you add your MAC address before turning Access control on??
      If you dont want to reset the router you should be able to get back in by connecting the network cable.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply,

I'll reset it when I get home tonight, wasn't sure there was a default reset, had a look but just couldn't see it.

I didn't add my MAC address, must have read the tutorial wrongly, but when I looked at that screen, my computer name was listed as default.

Cheers

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When making any changes to the router you should be wired up to it.

Like stated above you need to select the device in the access control screen to allow access to and enable it.

Then you should turn the SSID off and everything should work fine

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So I guess I have to hook up to the router using the network cable, set up the Wireless Station and add my laptop as a device, can I use any device name?

But i think I will reset the router to it's default settings before I do anything, just to see if it is working.

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im sure it is still working, it is just you have adjusting the settings without allowing access.

It is probably best to start from scratch anyway and work from there. For the device to appear in the access control list the device needs to be turned on and requesting wireless access. This way you can just select your device from the list and allow access for it. I think in your case it will be easier to alter the settings over the wireless, they just need to be done in the right order.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

got it back working last night thanks to the help. Easy enough.

Cheers