Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rebooting router to improve connection

This is a discussion on Rebooting router to improve connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. I read a thread yesterday about about rebooting the router every day while it was 'in training' during ...

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Rebooting router to improve connection

Hi all.

I read a thread yesterday about about rebooting the router every day while it was 'in training' during the first 10 days of connection. This is supposed to stop the exchange from 'dialling down' your connection speed to an 'optimium' level. I'm not sure if I should do this as my connection seems excellent and very stable and I'm not sure if I could improve upon it. Would it do any harm to follow this advise until the training period is over.

My stats are:

5 Connect Package
      Connection Speed: 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Attenuation: 16.0db 10.0db
      Noise Margin: 13.6db 24.0db (little variation throughout the day)

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Rebooting router to improve connection

For connect, thats the best you'll get so I would leave well alone.

due to the training period, your stats may change, but rebooting after the training period can help in getting the speed back to the max.

'Saturday' can provide the technical ins and outs of how the MAXDSL product works.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that reddwarfcrew, thought as much. Will keep an eye on it tho to see if the stats do change. While it was working so well i was loathe to play with it. Now I'm sorely tempted by the 'Max' package. I'll see if the stability continues then will consider changing over.

Thanks again for the advice.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

With that attenuation you would get pretty much the full 16Mb when your exchange is upgraded to LLU.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      For connect, thats the best you'll get so I would leave well alone.
      Good advice from reddwarfcrew - if it ain't broke don't fix it

ADSL Max is fundamentally different from say ADSL2+ in how it handles rate adaption. With ADSL Max this is handled by RAMBo at the exchange. RAMBo is made up of two parts - MAX and DLM. MAX monitors the line rate and adjusts BRAS and also notifies BBCR of any changes in the BRAS profile. DLM analyses the performance statistics for the line DSLAM and adjusts the line profile.

My understanding is that if DLM sees a noise margin change then this results in a rate change which will be passed to MAX which will adjust the BRAS profile. However, the router has to agree a downstream rate with the DSLAM for a given noise margin so I don't really see that rebooting every day would have any effect either beneficial or detrimental on the MSR (maximum stable rate). Note that rebooting the router 10 times in one hour will actually indicate to MAX that your line is flapping and notifies DLM. DLM then re-profiles the line, such that the line rate reduces and therefore generates a sync event that causes Max to perform BRAS change. The net effect of this is to reduce the line rate for the user.

There is a case for occasionally rebooting the router if a service is being "regraded" from the old BT 2meg service to ADSLMax (or was, I think BT have fixed the problem) so I wonder if that's where this reboot advice came from?

However, I could be wrong so if anyone knows the technical explanation for why a daily reboot during training is a good idea I'd appreciate a link as I've seen this advice before and always wondered what the basis for this is.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At last I've found the original thread

Originall thread was: Some Useful Info & Tools by s00tie

When you first connect, you get a 10 day training period at the exchange where basically the router and exchange have a 10 day long conversation during which time they agree what your line is capable of. During this time, your connection will NOT be reliable in the least. It's also recommended that during this time you force a reconnection daily (I've been using the router reboot option).

Also, as well as the sync speed and noise margin, there is another factor at play here (almost the reason for me canning SkyBB). The exchange has an IP speed setting which adjusts itself automatically. This IP speed is around .5mbs less than your sync speed.

If it sees you at a slower rate for 75mins without disconnection, it will drop your allowed IP rate, if it sees you at a higher speed for 3 days without disconnection, it will increase you to the new rate.

Now spot the problem here?

During the 10 day period, you are encouraged to reset the connection daily so you will never be connected for 3 days solid, yet if it sees you at a slower rate for 75mins, your speed will be reduced. In short, during the 10 day period, if you are following the recommendation and resetting, the only way for your IP speed to go is down.
      Knew I'd seen it somewhere before.
      Last edited by Lazarus; 28-01-07 at 03:05 PM. Reason: link failed to load

Craster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Catford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My connection slows to a crawl every couple of days or so, but hard rebooting the router (pin in the hole at the back for 10 seconds) sorts it out every time. Is there any way to schedule an automated daily hard reboot?

Thanks.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Welcome to the forum

Please take some time reading the stickies in the forum. You may find the first one at the bottom of this post a good starting point.

NGee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Slough Langley (THLL)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craster View Post
      My connection slows to a crawl every couple of days or so, but hard rebooting the router (pin in the hole at the back for 10 seconds) sorts it out every time. Is there any way to schedule an automated daily hard reboot?

Thanks.
      I'm also having the same problem as you. although i just pull the plug every time it happens. At the moment i am testing another router to see if the problem persists.

I'm not sure about the automated hard reboot though. How about plugging the router into a timer plug? and setting it to switch off for 5 mins and back on again every night? Can't see why it wont work.

Craster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Catford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Welcome to the forum
      Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Please take some time reading the stickies in the forum. You may find the first one at the bottom of this post a good starting point.
      I did, but it didn't, I'm afraid. I get a consistent 6.9 Noise Margin even when my connection is at a crawl - yet a hard reboot sorts it every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast