Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Tired everything and stilll no joy

This is a discussion on Tired everything and stilll no joy within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I posted a forum before the server crash on this site and now its gone so i'll post a ...

damo1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCRAY
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tired everything and stilll no joy

Hi

I posted a forum before the server crash on this site and now its gone so i'll post a similar note with updates.

I have been on sky max for over a month and never had more than a days constant connection, mostly an hours. I used to have 2mg bulldog and no issues. I think my issue is the noise margin which does not go above 6.5db even in the evenings. I did get a program from someone on here to set my NM and I did to 9 and the internet stayed on for two days then failed. i have the old BT sockets but only 2 and 5 pins are connected, but have no test socket. I live about 1 1/2 miles from LSCRAY exchange. Router patched into the master BT point in the house with small normal phoen cable that came with the router and 6m ethernet cable goes into my LAN from router. I can get wireless too but same issue. I have turned of UPNP too.

From the last forum I tried everything that was throiwn at me and nothing worked so any ideas?

I have logged a call with Sky so will wait for about two weeks until they call back......

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tired everything and stilll no joy

My stats

-----

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 4229 6342 0 534 2289 00:26:31
      LAN 10M/100M 6450 4359 0 2275 573 00:27:51
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 12 0 0 0 0 00:27:42

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9779 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 25.6 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 1.5 db

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

This is obviously not a rule but an indication of likelihood:

* Regular, disconnections (typically every 15 min) = UPnP bug
      * Regular set times of day disconnections (typically evenings) = dropping noise margin
      * Irregular, random (can be very frequent or ad hoc disconnections) = cable fault, other noise burst or overheating/faulty router

It could be that you have a noise margin problem (though 6.5db is OK) but it could be your problem fits the last category so the first thing I'd check for is a faulty cable connecting the router to the phone socket or router to PC, a faulty socket (phone, PC or router), an overheating router (is it hot to the touch?) or an external factor such as electrical interference from lights, Dect phones, microwaves etc.

Of course it may be none of the above and it could all be Sky's fault but to be honest that is the least likely scenario.

Have you enabled your router log to see what is happening around the time of the disconnection?

You could also consider using Mossywell's utility though that will treat the symptoms not the cause.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tried everything and stilll no joy

well I have changed the cables, all internal ones anyway. ethernet and phone line and filter. i can't hear any clicking either on the line.

re noise margin 6.5 is the best it is, it drops to 5 or 4 and disconnects.

router is not hot to touch

not near a microwave and phone is quite near, but I have moved that and it is further away than it was from the belkin bulldog router and that had no issues.'

i'll try the utility and see what happens, at the moment anythign will do as rebooting all the time is driving me nuts

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok using the utility which is great, checked my logs and it rebooted 15 times since 4am this morning, need to find the source of the issue I think

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damo1977 View Post
      ok using the utility which is great, checked my logs and it rebooted 15 times since 4am this morning, need to find the source of the issue I think
      Did you contact tech support and have you got a ticket made up for your problem? If so send me an e-mail to The_one_and_only_ali_g@hotmail.com with the ticket number.