Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connection Dropped So Many Times Today

This is a discussion on Connection Dropped So Many Times Today within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Alipio my connection has seemed to clam down now, maybe the exchange had a small fault or ...

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Dropped So Many Times Today

Quote Originally Posted by Alipio View Post
      my connection has seemed to clam down now, maybe the exchange had a small fault or something
      Trust me get on the phone to tech support you need your line capped!!!! Your line attenuation is wayyyyyyy to high the condition of your line can't handle the speed it is sending down. Over time you will drop out again you need to get onto tech support so a ticket can be made up for you to get your line capped.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alipio View Post
      my connection has seemed to clam down now, maybe the exchange had a small fault or something
      Just on my last note your line attenuation should not be 55 the max requirement for a stable line connection is 30 your line needs capped as there will be alot of corrupt date going down your line which is droppin you off. Make sure also you have no extensions and your directly into your master socket (which is usually downstairs unless it has been moved)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No offence intended snake but that's just rubbish. An attenuation of 30db on a relatively noise free line will allow a connection at close to 16000kbps (which is the maximum speed available for Max). An attenuation of 55db (again, providing the line is relatively noise free) will connect at ~4250kbps.

I suggest you look at your training manual again

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      No offence intended snake but that's just rubbish. An attenuation of 30db on a relatively noise free line will allow a connection at close to 16000kbps (which is the maximum speed available for Max). An attenuation of 55db (again, providing the line is relatively noise free) will connect at ~4250kbps.

I suggest you look at your training manual again
      no offence taken but can you explain to me then how i dealt with a customer with a line attenuation of 65db and noise margins where only about 12 and she was in her master with no extensions and gettin terrible drop outs? That in my experience proves that line attenuation is alot more important than noise margins due to the fact that the exchange will deliver corrupt data down the line if it is anything over 30db i do talk to tier 3 tech support for sky on a regualar basis so i do know what i am talkin about here. Like i said no offence taking

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK then. Let's just rip up and disregard the reams of technical specifications and performance characteristics for ADSL as they are all clearly wrong.

Attenuation is a measure of the loss in power of electromagnetic signals between transmission and reception points. Many factors affect attenuation but by far the largest factor is line length. In simple terms, the further you are away from the exchange the higher your attenuation figure will be as the signal loss increases.

Attenuation is the single most important factor in determining the speed your router can connect at. The second most important factor is noise.

In simple terms, when a router "talks" to the exchange when powered up it measures and negotiates a number of factors. First it tests the transmission qualities of the line (in effect attenuation) then it measures noise level and quality. With this information it identifies which part of the frequency spectrum is available and usable and assigns upstream and downstream “channels”. In effect it blocks out part of the frequency bandwidth where noise is above a certain level and doesn’t use this part. A noisy line means less bandwidth is available.

Your customer with "terrible drop outs" had an attenuation of 65db. This is not, can not be due simply to the attenuation. A high attenuation line has a high inherent noise level so no doubt this would be a contributing factor. But the cause? No.

A high attenuation on its own will not cause an "exchange to deliver corrupt data down the line". A noisy line will, low attenuation or high.

You also misunderstand the relevance of the noise margin figure. This is simply a averaged figure over a shortish period of time. Noise bursts are a killer to ADSL connections as they cause loss of framing and loss of signal to name two. Noise bursts can be measured in milliseconds and would not show in a noise margin figure.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Since when did line attenuation have anything to do with line length? Line attenuation is the condition of the line and as i keep stating if it is to high there will be line errors which will cause drop out connections. Your point clearly does not state any proof at all that high line attenuation and low noise margins does not cause drop outs. I have confirmed this from serveral colleagues in tech support for differnt isps that line attenuation being to high will cause drop out problems.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-01-07 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceeding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

This is getting ridiculous.

Line attenuation is not "the condition of the line". In the context of ADSL it has everything to do with line length plus the frequency of the signal. Did you do any Physics at school?

Quite possibly your colleagues have a better knowledge of this than you and have kept it simple at your level of understanding.

There is undoubtedly a correlation between line attenuation and the possibility of connection issues but this, in simple terms, is due to the fact that a line with high attenuation has inherent noise and is more susceptible to induced noise.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-01-07 at 01:19 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      This is getting ridiculous.

Line attenuation is not "the condition of the line". In the context of ADSL it has everything to do with line length plus the frequency of the signal. Did you do any Physics at school?

Quite possibly your colleagues have a better knowledge of this than you and have kept it simple at your level of understanding.

There is undoubtedly a correlation between line attenuation and the possibility of connection issues but this, in simple terms, is due to the fact that a line with high attenuation has inherent noise and is more susceptible to induced noise.
      loll don't take this so stressful man i ain't hear to argue with you like lol listen i have never in my job come across a customer that has ever been able to get a stable connection on adsl2+ wif a high line attenuation i am constantly going through to tier 3 to have there line capped to reduce that attenuation and the amount of corrupt data errors. If you must know it has been tier 3 that advised me a line attenuation of 30db was the recommended amount for adsl2+ only because its the fastest profile setting the exchange can handle there is no higher. But line attenuation is also to do with line condition and length. For sky broadband line attenuation being high on certain packages is very uncommon but it is still there. I fix at least 85% of customers i get on the phone and its usually to do with the physical setup cause as everyone should know extensions on the RJ11 cable should not be used and they need to be directly into the master socket but some customers go to slave sockets and wonder why it is dropping out on em. We cool man debates like this can help us learn ya know

Alipio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Right....

First of all im on the MID package not the MAX, ive never had a drop again since this topic was made and im getting higher speeds. my current and stats that have stayed like this for ages now:

Connection Speed 5408 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.0 db

And i have to say i agree with sat

and another note im about 1.67KM straight line distance from exchange
      Last edited by Alipio; 31-01-07 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12