Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

5 to 10 seconds max connection

This is a discussion on 5 to 10 seconds max connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Possibly wise advice but with Sky taking no action (yet) on the many people using a different brand of router ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      St Helens
      Blog Entries

Re: 5 to 10 seconds max connection

Possibly wise advice but with Sky taking no action (yet) on the many people using a different brand of router it would be somewhat surprising if they took offence at using another Sky router.
      Sky have the capabilities to track these people down who are not using the Sky router, the fact they have not done so, kind of suggests that they ain't too worried.

However if my understanding is correct, the Sky router would be required for VOD and there would probably be a firmware update required to be able to do so.

I would also hazard a guess they would do this by using a 2nd vpi/vci combo via custom firmware and there are not too many routers that would allow this.

In this update, they could incorporate some kind of checking to validate everything from the routers actual mac as well as the login details. This would then effectively put an end to using your own router.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      snake is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:

Re: 5 to 10 seconds max connection

Quote Originally Posted by Vorns View Post
      Thanks for the swift responce Saturday.

Just noticed that i may have misled people with the title of this thread. I'm not on max I'm on Base.

Can I test this with my brothers router?
      Hes on Max and at an address on the other side of the city, will i have any problem using his box if he'll let me have it.
      Is it just a case of plugging his in or are their any setting that will change and ruin the router for him?
      If you test with your brothers router all lights will come on but you won't beable to browse due to an authentication failure which would be an error code 200. Your brother will have a set username and password for his line so will you. This is all set this way to stop anyone from grabbing a sky Broadband box and connecting it to there telphone line and not being charged for it but the person that owns it gets charged for it. If your lights are doing this and blinking and goin off like that it sounds very much like your router is faulty and you may need to contact customer services to have another router sent out to you. I would advise you get a new router sent out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12