Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Internet Connection

This is a discussion on No Internet Connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, new user here. I am hoping someone out there can help me. I subscribe to Skybroadband Max, however I ...

Maaarrt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy No Internet Connection

Hello, new user here. I am hoping someone out there can help me. I subscribe to Skybroadband Max, however I cannot and have never been able to connect to the internet using Sky as an Internet Provider. My router is the cause of my problems. The original router I was sent didn't work. The power/standby LED doesn't illuminate when power connected. I contacted Sky 2 months ago and am still awaiting a replacement(no delivery forecast). Sky refunded me enough money to buy one on Ebay. I have done this but the internet LED does not illuminate. Are Sky Netgear routers locked to users? If so is there any way to unlock them? Any help would be gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No Internet Connection

As the user name and password are held in the router I'd guess that it's quite possible that these both have to be registered on Sky's system before they will be accepted/authenticated. Whether this is to a specific customer/phone number I've no idea.

Is your old router completely dead? If not and you can log into it then you could extract your original user name and password and use it in your new router.

Maaarrt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately old router is dead. Whwn you mention user name and password, which user names and passwords are you referring to? If it is the sky ones they are not asked for. If I switch off my pc and the router, disconnect the router, leave for an hour (executive reset) then connect up and switch on both pc and router the router does not show that there is an internet connection[no usernames or passwords have been asked for].

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      As the user name and password are held in the router
      The connection user name and password are held hidden within the router. They don't need to be entered unless you use a different router or firmware.

It could be that you do not get an internet connection with your new router because the user name and password in it are not valid and so do not get authenticated.

Of course it could also be an exchange problem. In either case only Sky can sort this for you.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Maaarrt

If as you say the internet (i) light doesn't illuminate then I would say there you have a problem at the exchange, you really need to call TS and have it out with them
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maaarrt View Post
      Unfortunately old router is dead. Whwn you mention user name and password, which user names and passwords are you referring to? If it is the sky ones they are not asked for. If I switch off my pc and the router, disconnect the router, leave for an hour (executive reset) then connect up and switch on both pc and router the router does not show that there is an internet connection[no usernames or passwords have been asked for].
      My advice would also be that you contact tech support with this issue if you are not getting an internet light. They will however take you through varies of troubleshooting steps like checking your physical setup ie your in the master socket with no extensions on your grey cable from your broadband box. They will also perform wat is called a swish test to determine wither ur port status is up,down or disabled. If it is down they will then send a tone down your line if u don't hear a serious of beeps coming down your line then this will need to be logged to BT to have an engineer go out and check your exchange for faults and do a full co-op with the Tier 3 agents. If there is no internet light from when u have been activated PLEASE contact tech support

gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had a problem with the router Sky sent me last week. The green ADSL light did not come on at all but I could get web pages for a few minutes at a time.

I extracted the connection Username and Password using the URL Injection information from this forum and entered it in to my old netgear and it worked fine but at a slightly slower speed. Very stable though.

They sent me a new router which arrived yesterday and it appears to be working fine so I'd get on to them and demand a new one or tell them your cancelling. Why pay for something your not getting.