Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Router and Ethernet connectivity issues - Please help!!

This is a discussion on Router and Ethernet connectivity issues - Please help!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ah, now we might be getting somehwere. I tried disabling and re-enabling in Control Panel, but to no avail. If ...

aligazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canonbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, now we might be getting somehwere. I tried disabling and re-enabling in Control Panel, but to no avail. If I try to uninstall and then re-install in Device Manager, I get the BSOD, with the error message DRIVER_CORRUPT_MMPOOL.
      Device Manager usually says that's it's running normally with no conflicts, etc, but maybe there is a driver issue. The network adapter is the original one built into the PC, but might need updating. Alternatively, I've spare PCI slots, so maybe a new network card might help?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      A new card is so cheap it has to be worth a try

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Agreed. I'll get one tomorrow and will report back ASAP. Won't have the laptop though, so here's hoping!

Cheers for all the help. Much more useful than Sky's tech support!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okey dokes, I have invested in a new network card and tried to go through all the steps listed above, but I'm still not online or able to access the router settings. Not good.

I've already spoken to Sky and ordered a new box, but the fact that I could access using my mate's laptop (albeit not wirelessly) still makes me think that the issue lies somewhere in my PC. Short of backing everything up and reinstalling Windows, I'm not sure what to do now.

I managed to snag a Wii today and will see if I can connect wirelessly with that tonight (although not being able to access the router settings might stymie that!)

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Are you aquiring an IP address from the router?
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think so, no. I've tried to leave the IP settings on automatic and also tried to assign one myself, but no joy either way. I'm still getting the Autoconfiguration IP address sometimes too, which from comments posted above suggests a possible router issue.

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      A distinct possibility yes, but maybe a faulty ethernet cable, much easier to purchase a replacement than to get your router changed!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      If i've read the posts correctly you have the ethernet/network card and wireless connections enabled at the same time.I tried this with a Win 98SE/Win XP machine(two hard drives,replug into other drive to change operating system) while testing the wireless abilities of the router and a new PCI wireless card and neither OS could handle it.By going into properties and disabling one or the other it would work perfectly on the remaining connection.I don't know if it is supposed to be able to handle both automatically but mine didn't.I didn't investigate further as both the router wireless and the PCI wireless card worked OK.I have disabled wireless on the router and continue to use cables to link my system.

Andy

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As part of my ongoing attempts to get this sorted, I have tried disabling one or the other (and even completely uninstalling to make sure. Must admit I never tried to uninstall everything though), but that never seemed to solve the problem. I have however now come to the conclusion that the issue must lie within my PC, not with the router. I set my Wii up last night and it connected wirelessly on the first attempt (and it was definitely my connection as I had to confirm the WPA key!). The Wii is configured for Auto IP and Auto DNS, which must mean that the router is working OK, right?

I've now tried 3 different Ethernet cables for the PC and still no joy. I reckon that there must be some sort of hardware or software conflict going on which is preventing access. I've recently backed up all my data, so do you reckon a complete reinstall of Windows on the PC would be worth a shot? I've got all the necessary recovery disks.

In the meantime, the Wii Internet channel launched today, so all is not lost for casual Web browsing!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Success!

Well, whatever the hell was going on inside my PC, a reinstall of Windows has sorted it out good and proper. Both Ethernet and wireless are now working again. Hurrah!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast