Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

its not working!

This is a discussion on its not working! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; trying to install a sky router for a friend but having problems.....was amazed to find the sky log in is ...

shaggyshaggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

its not working!

trying to install a sky router for a friend but having problems.....was amazed to find the sky log in is tied to the router....so have to use supplied netgear...looking at the settings when logging onto the router there seems to way to manually input the user name and password....so forced to use their software...which simply gets to the point where it checks the connection and says your not quite there yet..and that's it..cant get past the connection check which it fails..the lights are all green on the router and logging into the router shows its synced to the exchange....at no point did the software ask for the long in settings...any ideas on this other than calling there helpline?...

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site shaggyshaggy

Using the CD will achieve nothing the router is basically plug-in and play so if its synced to the exchange click on the Sky Test button and when or if you get an Error Code call Sky TS and tell them what it is.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks.

Its pretty poor show then when they make no mention that the router is pre-configured and the software will simply add rubbish like their shortcuts to your desktop and browser.

You then phone so-called tech support whose years on intense training means in no time at all they able to.......

refer you to a higher level that will take 5 days to call you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

error code 300 by the way!

Dave G. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Error Code 300

I had the same problem. When I first ordered, I was told my exchange would support download speeds of 12 meg. However, as I couldn't connect to any sites, I logged onto the sky router http://192.168.0.1 user name admin password sky and tried the sky test, I got error code 300.
      After many calls to the script readers at support, I eventually got through to Tier 3, and a guy there did some checks and said my connection would be more stable @10 meg. He made the changes there and then and hey presto I connected. After twenty minutes the connection dropped, I rebooted connection was a success, then dropped again after twenty minutes. After about ten attempts I rang support again and after answering their scripted questions I was promised a call back from Tier 3 within five days (this was 5/12/06, no call yet?). Anyhoo I decide to check this forum and found a thread which suggested you uncheck UPnP and reboot your router at 9.00 p.m. when the service is busiest. The connection speed is lower down from 10 meg to 8.5 but downstream noise level is improved and as I leave my router on it has not dropped since. Result!!! I understand the underlying problem is that the Bt Exchanges are overloaded. Until Sky and BT fix the situation we have to use temporary fixes ourselves. 8 meg is not the promised speed, but for 10 a month I am happy, in spite of having to sort it myself, and perhaps a true 16meg connection is not to far away.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave G. View Post
      I understand the underlying problem is that the Bt Exchanges are overloaded. Until Sky and BT fix the situation we have to use temporary fixes ourselves. 8 meg is not the promised speed, but for 10 a month I am happy, in spite of having to sort it myself, and perhaps a true 16meg connection is not to far away.
      No, that's not the reason.

You can't connect at a speed higher than your line conditions allow and attenuation is the major factor. Attenuation is closely related to line length so what can BT or Sky do about that? No doubt the next ADSL technology will deliver even greater speeds than currently possible but until then if you want faster speeds then you'll have to move house to be closer to an exchange.

No specific speed was promised to you by Sky. Every advertisement for Broadband says up to for the reasons given above.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

except that i cant connect AT ALL!..whether stable or unstable.....

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Really sorry shaggyshaggy

The only people that will be able to assist you is tier3 so you do need to talk to TS and get them to pass your case over.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here