Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Low Signal Strength

This is a discussion on Low Signal Strength within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hello all.. i seem to be having problems with my signal strength on my router the router is literally next ...

theurbanpixie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wimbledon
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Low Signal Strength

hello all..

i seem to be having problems with my signal strength on my router

the router is literally next to my laptop, (two weeks old) and the signal strength is only picked up as "good", and missing two bars.. originally this was "excellant" with all bars lit but dropped in a matter of days

i dont think this is a problem with my laptop as i can pick up at least four wifi signals with excellant strength so this rules out the card as being faulty

i suspect an incorrect setting on my router and a faulty router

would anyone be able to comment on this or perhaps someone else has experienced this and has the solution

thanks

2. Advertisement
      jameseb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishan SWLNI
      Broadband ISP: Connect - but soon Max (4/1/06)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Make sure you have no other electrical devices near the router - things like wireless phones/mice, speakers and monitors etc as they can cause interference which will affect your signal strength....
      Арте́льный горшо́к гу́ще кипи́т. (Moral: Working as a team produces better results!)

имейте большое рождество и С Новым годом (have a great christmas and a happy new year )

Dont ya just love russian proverbs!

J-ames

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Slap me if this a silly question but what happens if you move further away? from my days of fixing tele's a few years ago there is a possiblity of too much signal, which can result in an overload of the input amp on the reciever this can actually cause a loss in signal. Only an idea but worth a try.

ronsil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161980
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It might be worth checking to see if you are picking up someone elses network instead of your own. Do a network search to check availiable networks

ICT-Tech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: N/A
      Broadband ISP: Cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      you could also try changing the channel that your wireless router is set on, many routers are set to channel 6 by default,and while this channel doesn't overlap, it seems to be the most susceptible to interference from cordles phones and a/c adaptors

channels 1 and 11 are also non overlappers ( hey i created a new word ), but just playing around should help

BTW might be an idea to have a cable to hand in case one of the channels is so bad you can't get enough signal to connect and change

HTH