Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Your Wireless Connection is Not Fully SECURE!

This is a discussion on Your Wireless Connection is Not Fully SECURE! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Recently got sky broadband and changed user name/password and the ssid and the WPA code.. but noticed my speed started ...

ROCKAMANIAC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your Wireless Connection is Not Fully SECURE!

Recently got sky broadband and changed user name/password and the ssid and the WPA code.. but noticed my speed started running slow only after about an hour.. and then i went to the mac setting and found 2 other computers were connected to the network somehow passing through/hacking through the WPA code!

So i looked up some websites and now i feel fully secure and dont havent noticed any unauthorised access and full speed..

Here are a few websites that explain how to fully secure your network, I reccomend EVEYRONE uses it and maybe a thread should be made and STICKIED for new securing their networks.

VERY easy guide from download.com (Recommended): http://www.download.com/How-to-secur...6.html?tag=hed

Here's another guide but maybe alittle advanced and may not be needed for home users but the other one i feel is a must: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1489

hope this helps..

Also: The easiest way to find out if someone has attached themselves to your network is to use a freely available port scanner such as GFI's LANguard network scanner. To put it simply, these scanners examine a specified range of IP addresses to find out if there are computers at each address, sort of like knocking on every door in the neighborhood to find out who is home.
      Last edited by ROCKAMANIAC; 04-12-06 at 08:56 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I'd like to put some perspective to this.

WPA is an extraordinarily difficult thing to crack. There are tools available but they require the cracker to have a really sophisticated understanding of the network traffic, a massive dictionary file, a very powerful computer and more than a little luck. Certainly not your average "script kiddie".

The only way to start this process is to capture the "handshake" which takes place when the connection is initialised. For this to happen to you the first time you fire up your wireless network is, to put it politely, rather surprising.

You might like to Google for WPA cracking. You'll find a number of articles where this is discussed but few or any instances where this has been achieved in a normal home environment.

My personal recommendation would be to stick to WPA. The typical Sky key is a good one. If you wish to strengthen it then increase the number of characters and make it random alphanumeric.

YMMV

BTW the iOpus product you refer to is for protecting your connection in a public (unencrypted) wifi hotspot. It has little relevance to using the Sky service at home.
      Last edited by Saturday; 04-12-06 at 04:59 PM.

iannufc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Jarrow (NEJW)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      We used to use iPig for our Wi-Fi access points at work. It's very, very good, but imho I'd say it was overkill using it at home.

I have found WPA and MAC Address filtering to be adequate - I have never had any unauthorised access attempts (so far!)

I think it's great that you have given people all of this info though, and the two guides are certainly worth reading, so thanks for the pointers there.

ROCKAMANIAC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've removed the ipig part it is overkill i agree.. however the download.com article is good securing the network for home users ...

donelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I use WEP because of Nintendo DS, but I also set up the allowed MAC addresses.

Should I also stop "broadcast SSID"?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Can't hurt (if the DS doesn't need it) but to be honest anyone that is able to crack WEP is probably going to be able to detect the traffic even without SSID in just a few seconds.

Don't forget that the router range isn't all that great so you'd have to live in an area of high housing density to even get one or two other households in range. Good practice would be to turn off the wireless in the router when not being used

hgaule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When I 1st plugged my box in last night my laptop automatically connected to the wireless but wouldn't resolve an IP or if I set a manual one it wouldn't work. Once I manually added the network key it connected fine, but didn't think it would connect at all without it

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I'm not sure whether that was a statement or a question

If a router has encryption set then no devices can connect through it unless they have the encryption key - that's the point of the encryption.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hgaule View Post
      When I 1st plugged my box in last night my laptop automatically connected to the wireless but wouldn't resolve an IP or if I set a manual one it wouldn't work. Once I manually added the network key it connected fine, but didn't think it would connect at all without it
      I believe that is a bit of a red herring, When I first set mine up I managed to enter the network key in the wrong case, The screen said "Obtaining IP Address" and appeared to be talking to the router but it continued saying
      "Obtaining IP Address" for age's but never did connect! Once I entered the key in the correct case it connected straight away. i.e. It dosen't come back and say "incorrect key entered" which would be nice but hey ho cant have everything I suppose.