Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Help

This is a discussion on Connection Help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been connected since monday on the max package and am having trouble maintaining a connection using the ethernet ...

Scarlini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Help

I have been connected since monday on the max package and am having trouble maintaining a connection using the ethernet connection. My line seems ok from about 4 til 8 and then i start getting serious disconnects about this time. Last night i kept getting disconnected after about a minute so i gave up. I have looked at the original solution for this Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix but i cant keep connected for an hour between 8 and 9 so i cant conduct all the speed tests which it says you should do. I'm really happy with the speeds im getting all i want now is a steady connection. Any help would be appreciated.
      Last edited by Scarlini; 01-12-06 at 11:01 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The two main causes of disconnections are:
      1. Noise Margin falling below ~6db
      2. A UPnP bug in the router

If it is noise related then the symptoms are likely to be worse in the evening. A fix is to "lock" your router noise margin to an appropriate level. I's easy to do - just involves rebooting your router at the appropriate time and then leaving it on. You'll find more info about this here.

If is UPnP related then the symptoms are regular and frequent disconnects often occurring every 16 minutes. A fix for this is to turn off UPnP in your router and reboot both the router and the PC.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did the UPnP fix on the router and checked my noise margin throughout various times of the day and it was 6.9db for most of the time although it went up to 7.2db once and slipped to 6.5db a couple of times. What is the best noise margin to reset my router to?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      It's the noise margin at the time of any disconnection which will tell you whether there is a problem.

Log into your router in a separate window and open up the stats page. Leave it open until the next time you get a disconnection then switch to the stats window to check the margin.

If it is still above ~6.5db then look at the log page and see what entries (if any) have just been made.

Lastly, have you got something electrical in your house which switches on about the time the disconnects start?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will try what you have said mate and also don't think there is anything in the house that triggers the disconnection.

Just got back from work and the connection has gone about 4 times already.

Im talking being online for about a minute.

This is the longest connection i have got bout 5 mins.

I've noticed that esometimes when i try to activate the router homepage the disconnection seems to occur.

This all started last night when i tried rebooting the router like it said on the forum.

Any ideas?

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scarlini View Post
      This all started last night when i tried rebooting the router like it said on the forum.
      What exactly did you do?

Have you powered off your router since then. If not, pull the plug and leave it off for a couple of minutes. Then plug it back in.

If that doesn't help then it might be worth resetting the router. You'll find a small pinhole near where the power lead goes in. Push a pen tip in for just a second.

Lastly, is the router hot to the touch? You should always mount the router on the supplied feet on its side so it runs cool(er).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

After a converstaion with sky last night i have put the router in the master socket and decided to connect by wireless. I have removed the faceplate and placed directly in the master socket. This has resulted in nearly an extra meg in speed plus a longer connection. However i am still suffering disconnects at the moment. What we be the best time to reboot the router and is the higher noise margin the better to do it to? Here are my stats

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 4256 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4320 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 10.0 db

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Hi Scarlini - if I could just clear up a bit of confusion, the master socket is the whole box, the socket behind the master socket faceplate is the test socket.

I'm not surprised that you are getting better speeds with the test socket - most people do, especially if they have extensions in the house. Presumably you don't as removing the front faceplate will disconnect them. If you want a tidier result consider fitting a replacement filtered faceplate (~10) which will give you much the same results as the test socket.

Are you happy with your router by the master socket and connecting wirelessly? If you are not then you could run a dedicated unfiltered extension to your PC for the router from a replacement faceplate. Even easier, you could simply buy a long RJ11 cable to connect your router to the master socket/test socket. A 25m cable will cost less than 10 delivered.

With regard to your disconnects you haven't replied to any questions re. when they happen, how frequently they happen, what the noise margin was at the time of the disconnect and whether the router is running hot etc. However, in general you need to maintain the highest possible noise margin which can be accomplished by booting the router when it is at its lowest point. If it drops again, reboot and continue to do this until it stops dropping. Then leave the router connected and powered up or you'll have to start again.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Just a thought. I wonder if you have a faulty RJ11 cable or RJ11 socket in the router?

If you have another one (its the lead that connects the router to the phone socket) then try that.

In case its a loose connection to the router try putting a rubber band round the router so that it traps the lead and keeps it from moving at all.