Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Ethernet Connection on my PC - A Problem?

This is a discussion on No Ethernet Connection on my PC - A Problem? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ordered Sky Broadband on monday after getting my MAC code from Orange. I have a Dell desktop which is probably ...

humfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No Ethernet Connection on my PC - A Problem?

Ordered Sky Broadband on monday after getting my MAC code from Orange. I have a Dell desktop which is probably 5 years old now and doesn't have a ethernet connection. From my understanding this doesn't matter as long as I get a USB wireless adaptor (which I have bought from Sky). Is this the case? I assume I just plug the sky box into the telephone socket and once active, the USB adaptor in the back of my desktop does the rest?

My wife also has a work laptop and would like to work from home every now and again. It is wireless enabled already (apparently), so should it be relatively straight forward for her to use the Sky broadband as well??

Any help much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site humfer

Yes if you have no Ethernet connection on the PC the USB Dongle with be fine as will the laptop, when you get the router it come with a little card with all the details you need to use the wireless connection.

Good luck when it happens
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

thunderbird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanford Le Hope
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I also have no ethernet connection,wireless connection to desktop seemed rather slow,so bought one of these http://www.argoncomputing.com/products_4_33_117_921.php
      or you can use similar device
      Works well on desktop.Have no laptop yet.

Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      thunderbird

For a 1/4 of the price you could have put a network card in it.

Monster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Network Card

Hi
      Im new to the forum would like to say Hi to everyone I already have 3 pcs networked up from a 4 port network card a cable runs from main pc to each of the other 2 pcs when i get the sky router how do i cable it up into the existing system do i take out the 4 port network card a just put a Lan card in main pc or can i use the router just for internet connection and leave the 3 pcs connected as they are at present any help would be welcome

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
      Hi
      Im new to the forum would like to say Hi to everyone I already have 3 pcs networked up from a 4 port network card a cable runs from main pc to each of the other 2 pcs when i get the sky router how do i cable it up into the existing system do i take out the 4 port network card a just put a Lan card in main pc or can i use the router just for internet connection and leave the 3 pcs connected as they are at present any help would be welcome
      The Sky router has 4 LAN sockets on the back so I guess you can just carry on networking as usual.