Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good news and instructions on WEP settings (XP)

This is a discussion on Good news and instructions on WEP settings (XP) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This was just posted to Digital Spy, I'm reposting it here but I will point out the warning that the ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good news and instructions on WEP settings (XP)

This was just posted to Digital Spy, I'm reposting it here but I will point out the warning that the guy wrote that if you're even slightly unsure about what you're doing, DO NOT DO IT!

Right,

After some experimenting tonight I can now CONFIRM (If only to keep Tim happy! <g>) that yes, you CAN change your security settings, and yes you CAN do it wirelessly..

BUT PLEASE DO *NOT* ATTEMPT TO DO ANY OF THIS IF YOU ARE EVEN SLIGHTLY UNSURE. I am not about to accept responsibility for messing any of YOUR equipment up, if you do it, you're on your own!

Enter the following address into your browser (I would steer clear of IE for this as it gave me errors on trying to save the settings I'd changed).

http://192.168.0.1/

When prompted for login details enter..

username - admin
      p/w - sky

You'll then see the Sky/Netgear router setup window, on the top left you'll see wireless settings, click that, then half way down the middle of the screen you'll see the SECURITY OPTIONS with WPA-PSK set, directly above that is the WEP setting, click that, then directly under that you'll see the WEP SECURITY ENCRYPTION.. Leave athentication type as AUTOMATIC, leave encryption strength at 64 BIT.
      Under that is a PASSPHRASE box, enter something memorable in there and hit GENERATE, the four boxes under that will then automatically fill with a random selection of numbers and letters. It doesn't really matter which of the four keys you pick (But make sure to click the radio button next to the key you DO choose if it's not key one).. WRITE THIS CODE DOWN YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IT FOR EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO CONNECT.. FROM YOUR XBOX, DS, PSP TO OTHER COMPUTERS.
      Then hit the apply button. As soon as you've done this XP will start screaming at you that it's lost connection. GOOD.
      That means that you've correctly changed your encryption to WEP. Now...
      Back in XP, click the START button (Thats on the bottom left remember?), go to CONNECT TO then SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS. You'll see a wireless connection there that'll say disconnected. RIGHT click on that and click on VIEW AVALIABLE WIRELESS CONNECTIONS. With luck and a following wind, one of those will be SKYXXXXX (I'm unsure as to if the number following the SKY part is the same), it'll also say SECURITY ENABLED WIRELESS NETWORK. Click on this BUT DO NOT CLICK CONNECT YET. When you've clicked on it, click on CHANGE ADVANCED SETTINGS on the bottom right of the window. This will bring a new smaller window up, don't start to panic now, we're almost done! There are three tabs at the top of that window, click the WIRELESS NETWORKS tab. at the bottom of the small window now you should see your SKYXXXXXX in the PREFERRED NETWORKS section, click on it ONCE to highlight it, then click on PROPERTIES (Just under that window).

Change the NETWORK AUTHENTICATION from WPA to OPEN.
      Change the DATA ENCRYPTION to WEP then in the two boxes under that enter the key I told you to write down earlier.

Now for the part that was making ME lose connection every five minutes last night..

Again, at the top of the window you're on, you'll see some more tabs, the middle one of which is AUTHENTICATION, click that AND UNCHECK THE TICKBOX that says "Enable IEEE 802 authentication" Finally click the connection tab and CHECK the box that says connect automatically.

OK that, it'll take you back to the previous screen and click the VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS button.

This time when you see you're SKYXXXXX click on it so it's highlighted, but feel free to hit the CONNECT button at the bottom of the screen, if you've done everything correctly a new window will come up asking you to enter your WEP key BUT BOTH WINDOWS WILL ALREADY BE FILLED IN so just hit OK.

It'll connect, you'll be online and it WON'T disconnect every few minutes like it was doing last night.

Please feel free to try this IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, and again, feel free to re-write it to make it more understandable if you want to.

BUT PLEASE. I REPEAT. DO *NOT* ATTEMPT TO DO ANY OF THIS IF YOU ARE EVEN SLIGHTLY UNSURE. I am not about to accept responsibility for messing any of YOUR equipment up, if you do it, you're on your own!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      username - admin
      p/w - sky
      personnally the first thing i would do is change these details, as a security precaution.

Actually if i get time i will do a tutorial on this for you Lino so it easier for everyone, unless you would like to do it

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good point about changing the login details, I never even thought about that, the fact that I've managed to change it to WEP and more importantly KEEP it connected (It was that pesky checkbox with the IEEEE setting that was messing everything up) that I went a little woozy! As for a tutorial, I'll leave that to you, mine tend to ramble and veer off course!

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      just as a tip, i always use a DVD case of a game or a film that i am playing at them moment as my wep key (off the barcode) only snag is is someone breaks in and piches my dvd's i knackered :-(

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      is there a "restore to factory default" button on the router admin pages anywhere JUST in case someone does make a do do ?

also Skyuser.co.uk would not recomend changing anything on the settings << legal stuff lol
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      yep you have a return to default button

disclaimer: please do not try this at home

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      just as a tip, i always use a DVD case of a game or a film that i am playing at them moment as my wep key (off the barcode) only snag is is someone breaks in and piches my dvd's i knackered :-(
      A tip for you

As hackers rarely resort to physical burglary, there are these gadgets called pens... You can use them to make a non electronic copy of your key! It really is remarkable what they can do these days

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      truble is as i have found in the past lots of bits of paper gets lost or the other half tidys yer desk up and puts them in the bin
      "To help would be a great adventure"

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      You know I have heard tell of these things called diaries?
      Apparently you can write impotant stuff in them?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 26-08-06 at 12:28 AM.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Great find Lino thanks

This will help a lot of people who need to use WEP.

I thought it would be a good idea to make this a sticky
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast