Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help with AVG and Email setting up on router

This is a discussion on Help with AVG and Email setting up on router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ok, thanks again Mossywell, I couldn't access this site for about a day for some reason, so those details I ...

leecovuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok, thanks again Mossywell,

I couldn't access this site for about a day for some reason, so those details I gave are now slightly different in that I decided to reset the router; I however again changed the password in there and unticked uPnP, but decided to leave the 'WAN Ping' function on, whatever it does !

When I left my dad's house with Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall (free) back in place on XP, everything seemed to be working fine on wireless, including the AVG updating and using smtp.sky.com (email username and password required if I recall correctly) for SMTP in Mozilla Thunderbird. Presumably I was just unlucky the day before with the AVG problem.

The laptop is 'standalone' except for the Netgear router, so is there indeed no likely other use at all for the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client?
      ie, regardless of whether ethernet or wireless is used for Sky Broadband?
      That is the only component 'ticked' in Add/Remove Windows Components, Networking Services.
      Presumably that component would not be needed either if they have to revert to their old dial up connection.
      Of course I appreciate I could probably just leave it harmlessly installed as it is.

By the way, the Netgear router seems to get very hot, so I advised my dad (rightly?) to at least switch it off overnight.

Thanks,
      Lee
      Coventry

PS Off Topic; Is it also recommended not to leave a laptop plugged into the mains power all the time?

2. Advertisement
      StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Leecov,StevieBoy here again. BTW you're not alone in having trouble accesssing this site over the last couple of days. Also it's recommended that you leave the router on all the time (The mods on here will vouch for that). Otherwise it seems that if you keep turning it on and off you'll greatly reduce its shelf life.

As for the heat...have you got it standing vertically,as recommended,on the plastic supports provided? And,perhaps more obviously, in a well ventilated area?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by leecovuk View Post

By the way, the Netgear router seems to get very hot, so I advised my dad (rightly?) to at least switch it off overnight.

Yes the router does get very hot. If you fit the supplied feet and stand it on end then you'll find it will run much cooler and is highly recommended. It isn't ideal to regularly power cycle your router, partly because of the stress this places on it but more because you are more likely to hit the falling noise margin problem if you always boot at a "quiet" time of day.

PS Off Topic; Is it also recommended not to leave a laptop plugged into the mains power all the time?
      I think it will depend on the battery type and laptop but most laptop batteries do not like being permanently connected to the mains. If you want to run it off mains for much of the time then remove the battery. Most laptops will run happily off the mains with the battery removed.

Edit: I'm obviously too slow at typing - Stevieboy has already answered some of your question
      Last edited by Saturday; 30-11-06 at 03:01 PM.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Presumably that component would not be needed either if they have to revert to their old dial up connection.

Re internet gateway component: correct.

Re heat: Yes, it gets hot. Try turning it on its side! I would recommend keeping it plugged in all the time.

Re laptop plugged in. Unless you've got one of those "exploding batteries" models, I can't see any reason why not to keep it plugged in (other than the extra few kilos of CO2 it will pump into the atmosphere)!
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks again mossywell.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieBoy and mossywell
      it's recommended that you leave the router on all the time
      As for the heat...have you got it standing vertically,as recommended,on the plastic supports provided?
      Thanks, I'd missed both those points. I left it sitting flat on a table.
      My dad has just popped round so I've told him to now stand the router vertically and leave it switched on all the time.

Lee
      Last edited by leecovuk; 30-11-06 at 03:14 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In general, although I probably missed the info about how to best mount the modem, the instructions you get with the Sky Broadband disc and router are pretty rubbish, aren't they?
      Well it seems that way to me anyway, in that they don't cater for anyone who very easily comes across little issues not covered by the 'automagic' installation.

Hence the reason for this forum presumably.

I appreciate that it is hard to explain many things without confusing the average user, but at least they could compile and link to a detailed FAQ with common possible issues. (or do they if you're logged in on the web?)

Even one of the Sky letters my dad received was misleading, as it implied he would have to enter his username and password into the router. Presumably that actually meant logging in on a web browser to use webmail or access his Sky account, but that's not how I read it.
      Oh well.

Last edited by leecovuk; 30-11-06 at 03:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12