Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Windows XP Network Bridge

This is a discussion on Windows XP Network Bridge within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hope the following doens't sound too confusing... Sky broadband activated today all OK apart from the following. I have a ...

AlanM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Windows XP Network Bridge

Hope the following doens't sound too confusing...

Sky broadband activated today all OK apart from the following.

I have a wired network upstairs and the sky router is downstairs.

Bought myself a Belkin Wireless G USB network adaptor (LAN2) and installed it on PC1.

Disabled wired lan connection (LAN1) on PC1 and it connects via LAN2 no problem.

Now when I enable LAN1 and add both connections to the windows XP network bridge (all set to DHCP) everything works fine for a few minutes then the internet connection is suddenly lost.

Only resolution so far is to remove both adaptors from the bridge, disable LAN1 and all works fine again.

Problem is that I need to use the bridge so PC's 2 and 3 and the network printers (all upstairs) are all on the same network and so that LAPTOP's 1 & 2 (connecting to sky router wirelessly) can access networked printers and shares via the bridged connection.

So basically, had anybody any ideas as to why the link is lost when the connections are bridged?

TIA
      AlanM

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I wonder if this is the old uPNP problem? Try going to the router settings (http://192.168.0.1 Username admin Password sky) and disabling uPNP. You'll need to do any port forwarding manually if you use any but it's helped with stability for a lot of people.

AlanM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that info but hasn't made a difference I'm afraid.

Interestingly though, once the connection drops when bridged, I can't even ping the router. To me, that would suggest a config problem with the Windows XP bridge rather than an issue with the router.

Any ideas?