Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

checking the basics - just plug in and go ?

This is a discussion on checking the basics - just plug in and go ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR I would leave them as they are personnally just to be on the safe side ok; ...

leecovuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would leave them as they are personnally just to be on the safe side
      ok;
      Do you know what those Networking Services components actually do?
      Whenever i try to read up on them I just go round in circles.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi mate, the router does user a username and password but it is embedded in the firmware and locked down by Sky to stop tampering and you using the router on another service provider!! typical sky want everything in there control.
      I would advise you to turn upnp off on the router, I have only been with sky for 3 weeks and have lots of problems with the connection locking up and having to reset the router up to 4 times a day!. But after some advice from guys on here I turned upnp of and router has now been up for 24 hours with no problems, fingers crossed!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks koala5,

I'll do that then in the router settings via the browser.
      newsreadeR mentioned that setting earlier as one I could turn off, and it sounds now that indeed having it on may be a problem.

Would you or anyone else also advise disabling the 'uPnP User Interface' in Windows XP? ie, under 'Add/Remove Windows Components', 'Networking Services' ?

I ask because the whole uPnP thing is a mystery to me, and I've read bits and pieces elsewhere suggesting it isn't necessary at all. Apparently having that component enabled may also cause problems for xp such as hanging in certain circumstances or causing tray icons to vanish.

Apparently those problems/bugs may also be something related to the SSDP Discovery Service in services.msc, but I don't know if that is actually related to the other Windows component I mentioned 'Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client'.

Sorry for the complexity of all that; I'm confused and will probably have to ask some XP experts on all this.

Lee

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello again,

USB dongle in place now. Set up seems to fundamentally work except for a few nuisances I've mentioned on another topic.

So what do I have here with one laptop+Sky Broadband+Netgear router? Have I made a Local Area Network when using the ethernet cable, and a Wireless Local Area Network when using the USB Dongle and no ethernet cable?

Can anyone explain what this actually means in semi-technical terms? But not too technical ! ie how does it compare to, for example, a broadband connection using a USB modem?
      I'm kind of curious as to what is happening in one as opposed to the other, and why a 'router' as opposed to a 'modem', things like that.

Thanks for any semi-technical wisdom, hopefully more understandable than apparently high level techno-speak I've found elsewhere on the net.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12