Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Freezes

This is a discussion on Connection Freezes within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; When I connect to bb it starts off fine but then another twin tv icon appears in tray and this ...

mach2001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Freezes

When I connect to bb it starts off fine but then another twin tv icon appears in tray and this say's its an internet gateway in my connection settings and when that pops up i know i only have about 10-15mins before my connection freezes then i have to restart everything before it will work, I'm a bit of a novice and wondered if there is a way to fix this? I am using a wired connection.

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Interesting! What you are describing (I think) is the uPNP gateway icon in the system tray. Basically, after a series of network broadcasts between the PC and the router, the router "tells" the PC about itself and some of its capabilities. The PC can use this to configure automatically port forwarding on the router. (It is supposed to make life easy for novice users, but most security experts see it as a potential hole in the router security.)

Anyway, there have been reports (dingdong is a fan of this theory) that upnp causes the bb connection to die after a few minutes and one solution is to log onto your router and disable upnp. Of course, anything that uses it will stop working, so you'll have to configure port forwarding manully. There is a post (it might be a sticky by now) explaining how to do this. Finally, you can also disable upnp on the PC, though Add/Remove programs - Windows Components - networking services. This will, of course, disable upnp conversations to any other upnp devices you might have on your LAN.

HTH
      m
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

mach2001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks a lot I'll try that when i get home but i think i'll leave the pc settings for now as i dont really understand it all yet, Thanks again