Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Custom Service / Port Forwarding not working

This is a discussion on Custom Service / Port Forwarding not working within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I am currently having issues with Port Forwarding. I want to be able to SSH into my Home Server ...

niboyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Custom Service / Port Forwarding not working

Hi,

I am currently having issues with Port Forwarding. I want to be able to SSH into my Home Server remotely via the internet, hence why I am setting up Port Forwarding. I am still using an old Netgear V2 DG934G. I want to use an uncommon port for this for security reasons.

So I have created the following Custom Service:
      Type: TCP/UDP
      Start Port: 35000
      Finish Port 35000

I have applied the above Custom Service to an Inbound Firewall Rule which is pointing towards my Home Server. When I use Putty to SSH into the Home Server using my Public Address over Port 35000 it does not work. Port 35000 is open on my Home Server and is pointing towards Port 22 (traditional SSH port). I know that it works over Port 35000 as I can SSH into my Home Server using it while in my LAN just not via my Public Address. If I create an Inbound Firewall Rule using Port 22, which is a predefined service on the router, I am able to SSH into the Home Server via my Public Address no problem.

I also tried to setup Port Forwarding for my OpenVPN server using Port 1194 but it does not work either. It looks like any Custom Service that I create will not work, and only the predefined services (22 -SSH, 21 FTP, 80 HTTP, etc) are working for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem or can help with this? I would really appreciate it.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Custom Service / Port Forwarding not working

Using a service like GRC ShieldsUP can you do a user specified custom port probe to check whether port 35000 is open?
      How is the device running putty connected to the internet when attempting to connect to your external IP address? Not via your home network I hope as your router would require advanced masquerading firewall rules to accept a trombone connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi seawright. Thank you for the reply! I checked out GRC ShieldsUP to check my ports. With my custom service enabled for Port 35000 on my router, GRC ShieldsUP was reporting that the status of that port was "Stealth". With the Port 22 predefined service enabled, GRC ShieldsUP reported that Port 22 was open. Due to the fact that I know port 35000 to be open on my Home Server, it again points towards an issue with custom services on my router.

When testing remote access I use my mobile as a hotspot so my laptop is basically using my mobile data, which is outside my LAN.

Do you have any ideas why this might be happening with custom services in particular?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is anyone able to help me with this? Thanks

Thanks

I don't have a Netgear V2 DG934G router so am unable to check your results. It would appear to be a router problem but as the router is working correctly except for this problem I would suggest that this is a firmware bug rather than a hardware fault. If your router is running the latest firmware or firmware updates are no longer being provided a new router (or at least a newer model) may be the only solution. Before doing so it may be worth investigating further by opening a group of ports around 35000 (rather than a single port) and checking whether any of the group are un-stealthed.
      If numbered ports cannot be opened using the web interface it is still possible that ports can be opened using UPnP (if it is enabled) but I am not aware of a programme that allows users to select ports using this method. It is more usual that programmes, such as games, have inbuilt UPnP routines to open any ports necessary for the said game to communicate with other gamers.

Thanks

Haven't tried it but a Google search did come up with this:
      How to Quickly Forward Ports on Your Router from a Desktop Application

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi seawright. I would like to thank you for all your help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

I finally managed to get Port Forwarding working. Embarrassingly a hard factory reset was all that was needed. I should have tried that sooner. Thanks again.