Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

SR101...Am i missing something?

This is a discussion on SR101...Am i missing something? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Good Evening all, Hoping for some advice/help regarding my sr101 sky hub. I am currently using the hub and have ...

wayneo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR101...Am i missing something?

Good Evening all,

Hoping for some advice/help regarding my sr101 sky hub. I am currently using the hub and have 1 Ethernet connected to a power line socket and then another connected to a longer cable which runs to my garage. i have a hikvison DVR and a desktop pc in the garage which i would like to connect to the network (at the same time) i purchased a Netgear prosafe gs105 5port network switch to connect the devices to the network and add some others later on down line seems fairly straight forward aye?

But...when i connect the Ethernet cable to the switch and then to the dvr and pc i cannot connect to the internet. if i connect to the dvr (or the pc) individually by the same ethernet cable connected to the hub i have access!

Please anyone... "What am i missing?"

i have tried 2 different network switches and also different cables, still the same no access, i have looked at the router info but cant see anything amiss and would have thought it would be just plug & play to a certain degree....

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated,

regards wayne

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR101...Am i missing something?

Hello Wayne and welcome to the forum.

If you disconnect the DVR but still leave your PC connected through the switch to the long Ethernet cable that connects to your SR101 router, can you connect to the internet and can you connect to your router's admin web pages?

I take it that both your PC and DVR are configured to automatically obtain an IP address using DHCP.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi seawright, thanks for reply

yes have tried this but still no access to internet or admin page of router. both devices are set to auto obatin ip using dchp. if i take the Ethernet cable and plug straight into the pc or dvr i have access within a few seconds. (auto obtains & connects)

when i do have it connected to the switch and then to the pc, in the LAN status box i get "limited or no connectivity" and it shows sending packets but no receiving any. It states the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

regards wayne

Thanks

Are all the ports on the switch the same or is one marked as an "up-link" port either on the switch itself or in the instruction leaflet?
      If there is a designated up-link port ensure that it is that port that connects to the Ethernet cable from the SR101.
      Is the LED on the PC's network connector illuminated and the same colour when connected to the switch as when it is connected directly to the router?
      Is the LED on the SR101's network connector illuminated and the same colour when connected to the switch as when it is connected directly to the PC?
      When the switch is in circuit are the LED's on its connected network ports illuminated?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Are all the ports on the switch the same or is one marked as an "up-link" port either on the switch itself or in the instruction leaflet?
      If there is a designated up-link port ensure that it is that port that connects to the Ethernet cable from the SR101.
      Is the LED on the PC's network connector illuminated and the same colour when connected to the switch as when it is connected directly to the router?
      Is the LED on the SR101's network connector illuminated and the same colour when connected to the switch as when it is connected directly to the PC?
      When the switch is in circuit are the LED's on its connected network ports illuminated?
      Looked at that switch online and just looks to be a standard unmanaged switch, so any port will do.
      Would suggest trying a different port, if not tried already, you can add in any order, it makes no difference, as some ports on these network switches do fail.

Think you can rule out the cable to the router as you made a connection to your pc and dvr without the switch.

What are the port led's on the switch showing for each inserted cable?

Both port LEDs = 1000mbps link
      left led = 100 mbps link
      right led = 10mbps link
      flashing = activity on the port
      no light = no link
      Scubbie likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe a bit obvious, but have you switched on the power to the hub?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Maybe a bit obvious, but have you switched on the power to the hub?
      I had thought of that but assumed that there must be power if the LEDs were illuminated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello and thanks for the replies so far.

Yes the hub and switch are both powered on. I have green Leds showing link and activity on both the switch and hub. I have tried different ports on both switch and hub still can't gain Internet access whilst connected through the switch. It's although the hub is not assigning ip address to the computer or dvr while connected through the network switch.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

I don't use power line connectors myself, do they have a limit on the number of connections allowed?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Power line socket has no problems its connected to an android box in the living room, i`ve taken this out and tried the switch and hub separately. makes no difference, still not obtaining ip address and allowing me to connect to tinternet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast