Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

SR101...Am i missing something?

This is a discussion on SR101...Am i missing something? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; With your PC connected to the SR101 using the long Ethernet cable check the IP address assigned to your PC ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR101...Am i missing something?

With your PC connected to the SR101 using the long Ethernet cable check the IP address assigned to your PC and ping the SR101 by IP address from your PC. I'm assuming the hub will be 192.168.0.1 but check to make sure.

If that's ok add the inline switch. Manually configure the PC's IP address and subnet mask using the same values as previously assigned and re-check whether you are able to ping the SR101.

2. Advertisement
      steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

What length is the ethernet between the hub and the switch? Just as an experiment have you tried putting the switch next to the hub (maybe clutching at straws here) to see if that makes a difference?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wayneo View Post
      Hello and thanks for the replies so far.

Yes the hub and switch are both powered on. I have green Leds showing link and activity on both the switch and hub. I have tried different ports on both switch and hub still can't gain Internet access whilst connected through the switch. It's although the hub is not assigning ip address to the computer or dvr while connected through the network switch.
      Have you tried rebooting the hub since trying/adding this switch?
      Do it in this order?

Power down the pc and dvr
      Power down the switch and remove from power.
      Remove the ethernet form the hub.
      Recycle the hub.
      Power up the switch and connect the ethernet to front of switch and then to hub. Wait for lights to be active on both.
      Power up pc and connect ethernet to switch and await for lights to be active (if they do).
      Power up dvr as above for PC.

Can you let us know exactly whet your leds on switch show as I described above. dual, left and right, before and after adding PC?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Perhaps a little back-to-basics, but is it possible to plug the desktop computer directly into the SR101?

There are two ways to do this and either will work just fine.

The first and obvious one would be to move the desktop to where the SR101 is. However that might not be the best option with monitor, keyboard, etc., needing to be moved too. The other option would be to unplug the SR101 and take it to where the desktop is located. Plug it in, without the telephone socket, and see ig you can connect directly to the SR101 and check that everything works.

If it doesn't, then the issue is with the SR101, the Ethernet cable or the desktop.

Check that al the lights are illuminated on the back of the SR101 to rule out the Ethernet cable. You should be using a Cat 5e cable or Cat 5.

At the moment everyone is just guessing, using experience, at what the possible problem is.

If it doesn't work then I would first reset the SR101 and ensure that you haven't set anything incorrectly on it. To do this, with the power connected, press the 'Reset' button located on the back the the SR101 for at least 10 seconds.

Once the SR101 has completed a reboot (2-3 minutes) connect the desktop directly to the SR101 again and see what happens.

If no joy, then it's the desktop. This beig the case could you please let us know what operating system you have installed and any firewall you are using. From here we can provide sme instructions to ensure that the LAN settings haven't been altered. I'm suspecting that although the question was asked, you've manually set up the IPv4 settings and this will mean that your computer isn't looking for the Sky router, but rather your previous router.

Note: Once you've connected your desktop to the SR101 how can you tell if it is connected? Using the 2nd option, where you take the SR101 to the desktop, you won't be able to connect to the Internet. The way to check would be to open your browser and put in the SR101's address: 192.168.0.1

You should see the home page under normal circumstances, but when the Internet isn't connected the router may redirect you to a help page advising you that the Internet is down. Either would be a good result.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps a little back-to-basics, but is it possible to plug the desktop computer directly into the SR101?

There are two ways to do this and either will work just fine.

The first and obvious one would be to move the desktop to where the SR101 is. However that might not be the best option with monitor, keyboard, etc., needing to be moved too. The other option would be to unplug the SR101 and take it to where the desktop is located. Plug it in, without the telephone socket, and see ig you can connect directly to the SR101 and check that everything works.

If it doesn't, then the issue is with the SR101, the Ethernet cable or the desktop.

Check that al the lights are illuminated on the back of the SR101 to rule out the Ethernet cable. You should be using a Cat 5e cable or Cat 5.

At the moment everyone is just guessing, using experience, at what the possible problem is.

If it doesn't work then I would first reset the SR101 and ensure that you haven't set anything incorrectly on it. To do this, with the power connected, press the 'Reset' button located on the back the the SR101 for at least 10 seconds.

Once the SR101 has completed a reboot (2-3 minutes) connect the desktop directly to the SR101 again and see what happens.

If no joy, then it's the desktop. This beig the case could you please let us know what operating system you have installed and any firewall you are using. From here we can provide sme instructions to ensure that the LAN settings haven't been altered. I'm suspecting that although the question was asked, you've manually set up the IPv4 settings and this will mean that your computer isn't looking for the Sky router, but rather your previous router.

Note: Once you've connected your desktop to the SR101 how can you tell if it is connected? Using the 2nd option, where you take the SR101 to the desktop, you won't be able to connect to the Internet. The way to check would be to open your browser and put in the SR101's address: 192.168.0.1

You should see the home page under normal circumstances, but when the Internet isn't connected the router may redirect you to a help page advising you that the Internet is down. Either would be a good result.
      In wayneo first post he had already tried with success connecting the pc to the hub.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (06-02-17)

wayneo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

yes indeed. i can and have already connected to the hub with either the desktop or dvr, via the the ethernet cable which is cat5e, distance don't appear to be a problem its less than 10mtrs i have good connection speed whilst one or other is connected (no latency with dvr or loading issues with desktop.

if i plug in the network switch and connect the hub, then from switch to the desktop again it fails to connect to the internet or admin page of router. the leds show "link" and activity both ends (sr101 & network switch) i have also turned the sr101 & switch off and restarted to no avail.

i will try later this evening seawrights post,
      With your PC connected to the SR101 using the long Ethernet cable check the IP address assigned to your PC and ping the SR101 by IP address from your PC. I'm assuming the hub will be 192.168.0.1 but check to make sure.

If that's ok add the inline switch. Manually configure the PC's IP address and subnet mask using the same values as previously assigned and re-check whether you are able to ping the SR101.

again i have tried another network switch,a tp link 4 port along with the netgear gs105 both same issue tried different ports and different cables, just to try and eliminate these out of the equation.

ill let you know how i get on,

regards wayne

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      In wayneo first post he had already tried with success connecting the pc to the hub.
      If this is the case, then I'd try the second option, with the router connected to the network switch and using a short Ethernet cable. If this results in things working, then it is the long Ethernet cable at fault.

If it is a faulty Ethernet cable, then a DVM (Digital Voltage Metre) could be used to help find which wire is faulty. That would mean that the cable would need to be taken out of where ever it currently is first of course.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

You say that you've tried a different switch and other cables, are these all the same make /model?

Thanks

Any update on this Wayne?

wayneo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello been a busy week working away.

Tp link 5 port hub and also a netgear gs105 hun both are brand new not second hand. The cables are also new 2 of them along with some cat5e shorter and longer cables that I had made up. All tested and working correctly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast