Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Auto 108 = lower speeds ?

This is a discussion on Auto 108 = lower speeds ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Here's a strange one, but maybe not, we are talking Sky Broadband here. My son recently (Sept) had a brand ...

Lawman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Auto 108 = lower speeds ?

Here's a strange one, but maybe not, we are talking Sky Broadband here.

My son recently (Sept) had a brand new telephone line erected from from his house, and then from pole to pole, bypassing the usual underground network courtesy of BT's Openreach, and BT's COE, and when my son was on F2S dslmax he was obtaining Sync rate of 6965, download speeds of 5 MB. stable connection using his old netgear 834G with the 54mb USB adaptor

My son finally got connected last Thursday 9th, some 2 weeks late,
      and I went around to his pad to set up his router, set the speed selection to Auto 108, and got a blindingly fast speed of 600 kbps.

Change the wireless settings to channel 11 and the speed jumps up to 4.0/ 4.5 mb, worse then F2s I would have expected his line (no noise at all) exchange distance the same, to at least sync at around 9323 or more..
      but the bit what puzzles me is when changing the settings to auto 108, things drop dramatically

I did un-install all previous netgear software, also did a reg clean, before installing the software that came with the 108 USB adaptor,
      any one (sky tech) have any ideas why this is so,
      I use a wired connection so can not try out on my setup

his router stats are (download)

Sync rate: 5082
      line Attn: 39
      Nm: 6.9

He has to use wireless as his master socket is in the front room and is the only point in the house, he has had all new wooden flooring put down, so laying extensions to his back room is not a option.
      audere est facere (To Dare is to Do)

http://www.thesway.net

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Can't help you with the auto108 issue as I've never seen this behaviour.

However on the connection front a few things to consider:

• First, although I take your point that a newly installed line should be relatively low noise your comment "no noise at all" can't be true. Any length of copper wire will be susceptible to noise - the longer the wire the more this likely effect. With an attenuation of 39db your son's line is quite long at approximately 2.8km.
      • Overhead phone wires are potentially more exposed to more electromagnetic interference (e.g. street lights) than cables underground.
      • ADSL2+ has different transmission characteristics than ADSL and in some cases the noise inherent in a particular line may affect each differently.

That said he has a potential connection speed of up to ~13000kbps. It is almost certainly noise which is holding the router back from achieving this.

A common cause of noise is the local circuit i.e. the phone wiring on the home side. To verify this you could connect the router directly to the test socket which you will find behind the faceplate of an NTE5 linebox (mastersocket). A significantly improved connection speed would indicate that a small investment to improve filtering would be well worth it.

Lastly, if wireless performance isn't good enough then consider using something like Homeplug (ethernet over the mains circuit):

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

I've not used them myself but by reputation the performance is excellent.

Lawman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe the term of "No noise" was the wrong choice of words,
      I should maybe have said no disconcertingly aware noise.

before the new line was installed, it was subject to hissing and popping, and phones ringing in the background, now its crystal clear.

BT also put in a new drop line and NTE5 master socket, although I have got a spare ADSL Nation face plate which I will take around.

Lastly, if wireless performance isn't good enough then consider using something like Homeplug
      No real reason why wireless should not be good enough, considering, thats what he had used on F2S without the problems of poor speeds and router freezes / un-opening pages..

But like I said in the post above, its the Auto 108, problem, that is the Er!...problem
      audere est facere (To Dare is to Do)

http://www.thesway.net

gavinp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile

Auto 108 is aka "Dynamic Turbo Super-G" which uses two wireless channels to increase speed:

http://www.super-g.com/faqs.html

Maybe the router is experiencing interference or maybe the firmware is not 100%....

Thanks

Gavin
      Last edited by gavinp; 19-11-06 at 08:36 PM.