Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ethernet v Wireless USB Adaptor

This is a discussion on Ethernet v Wireless USB Adaptor within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ethernet v Wireless USB Adaptor What happens if you run the Ethernet Wired Connection and the Wireless USB 2 Adaptor ...

ringo1 is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Ethernet v Wireless USB Adaptor

Ethernet v Wireless USB Adaptor

What happens if you run the Ethernet Wired Connection and the Wireless USB 2 Adaptor together? Will one over rule the other? Is there advantage of running both?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Ringo

what do you mean?

are you running 2 machines or just the one?

If just one the ethernet would be better, if you mean2 machines, then that should be fine - thats what I do

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

ringo1 is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just The One

I am running just the one, I did try the Wireless mode today as you have seen by one of my other posts and it affected the way on how I log into Windows so I had to uninstall the software. But it did perform very well while it was going. Normally when I turn on the PC it goes through the Welcome bit and goes into Windows. However with the software installed it bypassed this and asked for a password, so I uninstalled the dam thing. Just spent £29.98 at Curry’s, “what a waste”

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Take it back they will refund it if within 7 days, if you want to keep it we will try and help you to sort it out!

But seriously wired is always gonna be better than wireless

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

operationfirefly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky

Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I am Paladin. I use a false name because infact I work for the company in question and would prefer not to be identified. I will be making quite a few replys to posts in the next few months. If you have any questions then you can ask me directly.

Ringo, If you are running only 1 pc, I would recommend that you use ethernet, as I would for any connection to the internet. If however you feel you want to go wireless then disable the ethernet connection by unplugging it or right clicking the lan connection in the control panel and selecting disable. Windows by default is configured to automatically detect your internet connection, On occasion it has been known to get confused when there is more than one connection to the same box from the same computer.

Another thing to note is that the router itself will slow down your connection because it splits bandwidth to the PC network cards, whether that be wireless or ethernet.

Another point to mention is that the netgear status page on the router only allows access to it from one user at a time. By connecting via 2 cards it has been known to stop you from getting onto it.

Note: If you are not needing it then turn it off.

As for your wireless adapter you can get a netgear wireless usb dongle from sky for £20 + P&P at the minute and sky technical support will support it because they supplied it.
      I always recommend buying supported hardware, should anything go wrong you have one point of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by ringo1 View Post
      I am running just the one, I did try the Wireless mode today as you have seen by one of my other posts and it affected the way on how I log into Windows so I had to uninstall the software. But it did perform very well while it was going. Normally when I turn on the PC it goes through the Welcome bit and goes into Windows. However with the software installed it bypassed this and asked for a password, so I uninstalled the dam thing. Just spent £29.98 at Curry’s, “what a waste”

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Welcome to the site Paladin, your advice is sound and thank you for coming across to the dark side!

pejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      WOW, Paladin welcome, you seem to know what youre talking about. But just to clear things up which company in question? Sky, Currys or Windows.
      hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?

ringo1 is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

Many Thanks Paladin for your very professional and clear advice & welcome aboard the ship.
      I did get the Wireless USB to work with my Laptop, which it does work very well, then for a matter of experimental interest I decided to try it out on my main PC and like you said I temporary disabled the Ethernet side, it also worked very well. I would not run the two together as their would be no point, but it was only connected as a back up.
      The Wireless side much to my surprise performed very well in comparison to Ethernet.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Remember USB has its limitations regarding speed

Transfer speed
      USB supports three data rates.

• A Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (183 KiB/s) that is mostly used for Human Interface Devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice, and joysticks.
      • A Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MiB/s). Full Speed was the fastest rate before the USB 2.0 specification and many devices fall back to Full Speed. Full Speed devices divide the USB bandwidth between them in a first-come first-served basis and it is not uncommon to run out of bandwidth with several isochronous devices. All USB Hubs support Full Speed.
      • A Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s (57 MiB/s).

If your USB Wireless Device is USB 2.0 Then you really shouldnt face a speed issue with it, Also make sure that the computer/laptop using the wireless adaptor is compatable with USB 2.0

ringo1 is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Netgear v Belkin

How does the Belkin USB Adaptor compare to the Netgear USB Adaptor.On the box it says the Belkin has a range of 300ft & Netgear has a range of only 100ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast