Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Use Own Router with Sky Hub or Replace Hub completely

This is a discussion on Use Own Router with Sky Hub or Replace Hub completely within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I have recently got Sky Fibre Pro and have newbie question and I apologise if it has been ...

Beetroot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Use Own Router with Sky Hub or Replace Hub completely

Hi All,

I have recently got Sky Fibre Pro and have newbie question and I apologise if it has been asked a million times before.

I have an SR102 Sky Box and I have noticed that the wireless range is pretty poor. I am planning to get the Asus RT-AC87U router.

I have been lurking in the forums for the past few weeks and basically have noticed there are essentially two approaches.
      1) Attach the new ASUS router to the SR102 box. i.e. Turn off the Sky Hub wireless and use the wireless from ASUS
      2) Buy a BT Openreach Huawei HG612 modem, hack into the SR102, retrieve the credentials and then use BT Openreach modem in conjunction with the ASUS router.

I am currently connecting at:

Connection Speed 79987 kbps (Download) 19999 kbps (Upload)
      Line Attenuation 15.4 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 7.6 dB 15.15 dB

My question is what are the advantages of doing approach 2 over 1? I am getting full speeds with the Sky Hub, with ping about 5ms according to speedtest.net and not sure whether the additional complexities in step 2 are really worth the effort. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
      Last edited by Beetroot; 06-08-15 at 08:26 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Use Own Router with Sky Hub or Replace Hub completely

Whilst you might not be able to loop back to your router if you want to check an IP Cam, for example, I would stick to just using the Sky Hub SR102 for now.

With the imminent roll-out of IPv6 coming, I would want to let the dust settle a little before saying 'yes' to different new setups for the present time.

I don't know when Sky will start rolling out IPv6, but I would suggest that it could be any time between now and Easter 2016.

The BTO Modem will work. I'm more concerned with how your Asus RT-AC87U will handle it all via the BTO Modem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I currently run an ASUS RT-N66U with Tomato behind my HG612, and I've had it for 18 months and am very happy with it.

Before that I ran a TP-Link WR1043ND with DD-WRT, and again that was mostly fine but the router would lock up completely every now and again.

Personally I can recommend swapping the router if you have the stomach for it - however I have recently noticed the IPv6 rollout - and I'd be wanting to know what impact this will have on my own home router now it isn't a Sky one. I know that the RT-N66U can deal with IPv6, but I am unsure of the impact.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Personally I can recommend swapping the router if you have the stomach for it - however I have recently noticed the IPv6 rollout - and I'd be wanting to know what impact this will have on my own home router now it isn't a Sky one. I know that the RT-N66U can deal with IPv6, but I am unsure of the impact.
      This is an important question and one which a lot of people should be aware of.

Whilst it is designed for the SR101 and SR102, if you are interested there is a call for new volunteers for a Sky Beta trial on IPv6 that was cross-posted in the Sky News & Announcements section today.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

a router behind a router is a bad idea unless the first router is in a bridge mode.

So I would either use the sky hub or use your router instead of the sky hub.

its a shame sky didnt add a modem (bridge) mode to the sky hub.