Results 1 to 2 of 2
This is a discussion on Wireless issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since switching the router on for the first time almost a week ago (and was activated two days later), wireless ...
- 06-11-06, 01:52 PM #1
Since switching the router on for the first time almost a week ago (and was activated two days later), wireless connectivity has usually been pretty rock solid. Until yesterday. I started experience timeouts when visiting web pages, but noticed that the wireless signal strength was still top notch.
Tried to visit the admin page at http://192.168.0.1, but couldn't access it. Pings to 192.168.0.1 failed to reach target. After about 5 minutes, the connection came back for a brief period before things went away again. Rebooted the router and all was well.
When I first got the thing I couldn't connect my Mac (an Intel iMac) - kept saying there was an error when trying to connect (using WPA and supplied password). Hooked up the router via ethernet and changed the wireless channel to 6 (from factory setting of 11). I could then connect wirelessly.
So, I decided this time around to try setting the channel to 8 and see what happens. That seemed to go okay before my wife started complaining about the same symptoms (she has a Dell laptop with a Netgear 108Mbs PCMCIA card). I managed to log on via my Mac and noticed that actual ADSL2+ connection was still active, it was just the wireless stuff that was playing screwball. Again, signal strength when this problem has occured has been fine. When the wireless connectivity did come back, I did some ping tests to 192.168.0.1 and they ranged from around 1ms to around 235ms - mostly in the three digit region.
This morning, I've veritically mounted the router (as the top and bottom were getting quite hot), changed the channel to 1 (although using iScrambler, there appears to be another wireless network on channel 1 somewhere, but also at channel 11 and channel 6, and channel 8) and set the wireless setting to 'g only' (as we don't use 'b' at all - and I remember from past nightmares from earlier models of the DG834GT that Auto 108 is about as stable as Mr. Blobby tap dancing on jelly). This morning it's been okay.
I only hope that Sky/Netgear are perhaps able to produce a more stable version of the firmware dealing with wireless. The actual ADSL2+ stuff has been rock solid (although when I've reconnected over the past day, it's gone down from the initial 15336 to 14896 or something).
- 06-11-06, 01:55 PM #2
Almost forgot to mention that I've disabled the uPnP stuff as well as a precaution from (a) what I've read here and (b) I don't need it.