Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall

This is a discussion on Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, So, I'm using a Draytek Vigor 120 modem and the settings as shown in the attachment named "Internet_Access". ...

Callahan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall

Hi all,

So, I'm using a Draytek Vigor 120 modem and the settings as shown in the attachment named "Internet_Access". The other attachment named "Online_Status" shows that the modem has made the connection to Sky.

I've used wireshark to extract my Client Identifier that is sent by the Sky router as option 61 in the DHCP request to Sky. I am using this string separated by a | in the "Hostname" section of DHCP configuration for the WAN connection in pfSense.

For some reason (that being something I'm doing wrong), it's not working. I've tried as much as I can think of but I've hit a bit of a wall so if anyone has any suggestions or has successfully managed to get the same setup working, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Cal.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall-internet_access.jpg   Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall-online_status.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Replacing the Sky router with a modem & pfsense firewall

sky use pppoa mostly on adsl
      unless they have reverted again

Callahan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
      sky use pppoa mostly on adsl
      unless they have reverted again
      Hi Shonk. Yep, that's what I'd read, hence the protocol I'm using being set to pppoa in my screenshot. :-)
      Unless you saw something else I may have missed?

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe Shonk is referring to your use of the option 61 term, which is only used when connecting to fibre.

I don't know much about pfsense but if your modem is using the username and password to connect to Sky it should not be necessary to put these into pfsense. It is basically a software firewall/router which is connecting to the modem and should be configured for this, not to connect to Sky. Possibly you are getting confused with connecting to Fibre where the router needs to authenticate with Sky to make the connection.

When you move from the router back to pfsense, remember to release the IP address.

As I say, what I know about pfsense can be writtenn on the back of a fag packet, but hopefully my comments will help as there does not seem to be any pfsense experts around at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

coipu is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Any idea how i could craft a firewall rule to block ipv6 to entire lan but allow it to one alias? I can create the block rule fine but when i create an allow to alias rule above it it doesn't work. I know i'm missing something obvious thanks