Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Network Setup Assistant

This is a discussion on Network Setup Assistant within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; In the Network Setup Assistant section of How Do You Connect I am setting up different locations, there are 4 ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Network Setup Assistant

In the Network Setup Assistant section of How Do You Connect I am setting up different locations, there are 4 options that I can use (I never use wireless)

I use a DSL modem to connect to the internet
      2 I use a cable modem to connection to the internet
      3 I connect to my local area network (LAN)

Which of these is the most secure?

I tried option 1 but a box comes up You cannot connect to your ISP automatically, so you need to enter information to set up your connection. If your ISP uses PPoE???? Whatever that is and there is a tick box I am connecting via PPPoE

Option 2 The cable modem asks if I have a DHCP Client ID???

Leaving only option 3

Is there no difference in any of the options. If I ignore the you cannot connect to the ISP automatically, the internet is still running regardless which options is the best.

I have ethernet cable from Mac to router, then a telephone cable with filter from router to extension cable, extension cable to the main landline telephone socket downstairs

Sorry for the lengthy question but in the location section of Network is it ok to have numerous options, one for different DNS. i.e one for OpenDns, one for Google, one for SKyDns...

Thanks as always for your input and assistance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Network Setup Assistant

I am not really sure what you are asking, but I can say Option 1 refers to a set up where you are connecting direct to a modem which is connected to the internet, forget about this option as you are using a modem/router. Likewise Option 2 refers to a Cable connection, as you have ADSL forget about that. Option 3 is what you want, it refers to connecting to a router.

I have ethernet cable from Mac to router, then a telephone cable with filter from router to extension cable, extension cable to the main landline telephone socket downstairs
      This not the best way to set up the router, using a telephone extension cable is not recommended as it is open to interference. Ideally the router should be placed as close to the incoming phone line as possible, with an ethernet cable taking the signal to your device, or preferably a switch with 4 or more ports. Ethernet cable is not subject to the interference you will get with a phone extension cable and will give a better stable speed.

With regards DNS there is nothing to stop you setting up different devices with different DNS servers. Setting the device with a DNS will over-ride the router settings. If no DNS is set up, the device will use the router's Sky DNS server.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, the socket is downstairs, there are no plugs in the hall and there are no phone line extensions upstairs that is why it has to be that way. Without the telephone extension cable I wouldn't be able use the internet. But that does answer my question, option 3. I also wonder if the temporary internet drop outs I have been having is because of the microfilter or the telephone extension cable needs to be replaced.

By interference do you mean slower internet speeds, or interference by a third party, or is it more of a security risk.

Having a landline socket in my bedroom or even upstairs would be ideal but it's an old house and I don't even have plugs. in my room.

Thanks

If you have no power next to the router I would normally recommend a Power over Ethernet kit, but as the new Sky routers have a built in transformer this would not work. Next best solution is a long ADSL cable or preferably an ADSL extension kit such as this vDSL & ADSL Extension Kits Dave from Runitdirect is a valued member of the forum and I am sure would give you all the advice you need to get a good result.

By interference do you mean slower internet speeds, or interference by a third party, or is it more of a security risk.
      EM interference mainly. Telephone cable is not shielded so can pick up all sorts of interference, ranging from getting rubber by your cat to micro waves.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

wolfiebrian (24-02-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      preferably an ADSL extension kit such as this vDSL & ADSL Extension Kits Dave from Runitdirect is a valued member of the forum and I am sure would give you all the advice you need to get a good result.
      I will certainly look into that, thank you, so if I replaced my telephone extension cable with ADSL extension kit would it improve my internet speed and maybe stop the intermittent 'drop outs' that I get?

And I take it they are easy to install?

Should I contact Dave via the forum or via his site

Thanks again! appreciated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Dave from Runitdirect is a valued member of the forum and I am sure would give you all the advice you need to get a good result.
      I went to the site, and asked for some advice about what you recommended, all I got back was 'what length do you require?' really helpful.... NOT

I'll have a look online to see if I can purchase the cable on Ebay.

Thanks

If you are going to buy from ebay be careful. A lot on offer there is low quality stuff, either CCA or CCS, not pure copper.

TomD

Useful Utilites