Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A bit more stabilty if you have more than one client

This is a discussion on A bit more stabilty if you have more than one client within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have found after a little experimentation that it is better to have your client mac addresses associated with an ...

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A bit more stabilty if you have more than one client

I have found after a little experimentation that it is better to have your client mac addresses associated with an ip address. You can still have the clients set up to get an address automatically using dhcp but configure the router to issue a ceratin ip address to each client.

So no change on the client, ie. set to obtain ip adress automatically and set to obtain dns server address automatically.

In the router, select LAN IP Setup

Check the box for Use Router as DHCP Server

Then add your clients in the address reservation issuing the ip addresses as appropriate.

Why do this: well i found every so often my clients would not connect without a repair. Since making this change my clients always get the same ip address and there is no problems connecting - it also seems to do it faster as well. Probably because there is now never no conflict with the cached information.
      Last edited by dingdong; 03-11-06 at 09:56 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      nice find! thats helped with my lappy! never really bothered testing properly as laptop is connected to telewest!